Rx400h On Dirt Or Gravel Roads

Can the RX400h be safely driven on dirt or gravel roads? I'm not asking about rough terrain, but just country roads.

Does anyone have a 400h and drives it on country non-paved roads?

You can drive without problems.

Can the RX400h be safely driven on dirt or gravel roads? I'm not asking about rough terrain, but just country roads.

Is there some specific issue you are concerned about?

Yes, the Owner's Manual says that the 400h should not used "off road". We have friends who live in an area where we have to drive on 8 miles or dirt/gravel road to get there. So, I am trying to find out if driving to their house is considered "off road" or not.

Yes, the Owner's Manual says that the 400h should not used "off road". We have friends who live in an area where we have to drive on 8 miles or dirt/gravel road to get there. So, I am trying to find out if driving to their house is considered "off road" or not.

No, it's not. Beach, wood trails, mud--that's off road.

Here is what Lexus sent me regarding this question:

"Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

The RX 400h is intended for use for paved driving. Off-road use should be limited, for example: a flat dirt road will be fine. Serious off-roading like large mud puddles, fording streams, rock climbs, etc. should NOT be performed by the RX 400h. Your local Lexus dealership may be able to tell you if your RX 400h can handle your local road conditions. We apologize for any misunderstanding you may have had. Please be assured that your inquiry has been documented.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. "

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Looks like we can safely use the 400h on non-paved roads to visit our friends.

I've taken mine off road. Nothing too demanding but there were ruts and loose gravel, some steep sections and water crossings. It performed flawlessly and the AWD pulled thru some short patches of slipery stuff just fine. Tire are not the most grippy, and you wouldn't want to go for miles under those conditions, but it will handle most country road, or mountain cabin driveways with ease.

I never bottomed out, and I dont' think I would want to. Looking under the car there is only a flimsy plastic sheild between granite and $$$$ electronic components. If you balance the car on a rock the wrong way you could end up stuck and poor.

Remember the car cannot be towed normally it has to be flatbedded out.

I've taken mine off road. Nothing too demanding but there were ruts and loose gravel, some steep sections and water crossings. It performed flawlessly and the AWD pulled thru some short patches of slipery stuff just fine. Tire are not the most grippy, and you wouldn't want to go for miles under those conditions, but it will handle most country road, or mountain cabin driveways with ease.

I never bottomed out, and I dont' think I would want to. Looking under the car there is only a flimsy plastic sheild between granite and $$$$ electronic components. If you balance the car on a rock the wrong way you could end up stuck and poor.

Remember the car cannot be towed normally it has to be flatbedded out.

Thanks. I was hoping someone had actually driven the 400h on gravel, mountianous roads. You were the first to have actually done it who has replied to my question.