Poll: Self Proclaimed "grease Monkeys"

Ever since my dad first showed me and my brother how to do the brakes and change the oil on his '78 Olds Delta 88 I've had the itch to do all my own repair/maintanence/tuning work. Between this and my last car, I've saved a bundle on stealership parts and labor charges over the years doing such stuff as head gaskets, valve stem seals, starters, pumps, alternators, callipers, radiators, tie rods, etc., etc., etc. (you get the picture) But, of course, there are certain jobs that most of us could never do like wheel bearings and alignments - simply cause we don't have the equipment/tools.

I know not everybody's mechanically inclined enough to do much else besides an air filter swap. Furthermore, some folks just don't want (or have the time) to be bothered wasting away half-a-saturday changing rotors and brake pads.

So what I'd like to know is how many people actually do work on their own cars? Even if it's only to change your own oil. Please be a little specific in letting us know what level of work you perform yourself:

BASIC = oil & oil filter ; air filter changes (possibly spark plugs) ; etc.

INTERMEDIATE = brakes ; rotors ; serpentine belt ; radiator ; p.s. pump ; alternator ; replacement antennae ; etc.

ADVANCED = engine swaps/rebuilds ; head gasket ; timing belt ; headers ; turbo/nos ; etc.

lenore, I guess I will start off as advanced, I started working on British cars in the late sixties and early 70s. I have rebuilt two engines, Jaguar XKE and Mercedes 190E , and one automatic transmission Ford Ranger.

I do all maintenance on my Lexus as well as on a Nissan, Ford F150, Ford Windstar and many of my friends cars.

BASIC = oil & oil filter ; air filter changes (possibly spark plugs) ; etc.

INTERMEDIATE = brakes ; rotors ; serpentine belt ; radiator ; p.s. pump ; alternator ; replacement antennae ; etc.

ADVANCED = engine swaps/rebuilds ; head gasket ; timing belt ; headers ; turbo/nos ; etc.

I would also have to say "Advanced" I've owned an SC400 and now a SC430 for over 10 years with a single in shop repair (on a trip with a non-starting SC400). Interestingly, one of the most difficult repairs was to replace the starter motor on the '400. Who would ever put the starter under the intake manifold???! :wacko:

- Indio

Interestingly, one of the most difficult repairs was to replace the starter motor on the '400. Who would ever put the starter under the intake manifold???! :wacko:

- Indio

I seem to recall reading in some automotive magazine, shortly after the Lexuws nameplate hit the scene, that the starter was located down there to lessen the noise upon ignition.

On your scale I'm between intermediate and advanced. As I've done some things (both listed and not but in the same realm of engine or inside block work) in Advanced and just about everything or more non listed things in beginner and intermediate. I've worked on just about every car I've ever owned since 1993 and while this is a spit of time in some people's lives it's still 13 years and 6 cars to me :) (1989 I-6 Mustang, 1986 Datsun B210, 1989 Cadillac sedan DeVille, 1995 2.2L Cavalier, 1994, Mazda MX-6 V-6 and now the SC400).

Now I don’t know if this matters or not in any way of looking at whom we are and how or why we work on our own cars but I'm 31 years old and I am NOT a mechanic by trade. In fact I own an operate an independent Drum n Bass record label as well produce music for this label (www.forcerecordings.com) and other labels while traveling to DJ all up and down the eastern seaboard. And even more time that is spent doing contract GFX design work which constitutes a majority of my actual year to year income out of my own in home studios...

Working on my cars provides me two things my *other* life does not; more left over money than I'd have if I paid shops to do it all, and to be honest more than a little bit of Zen when I'm working on physical mechanical objects instead of computers. I can forget everything else in my life better the deeper I get into each new engine bay.

I guess it’s just odd like that with me :) I'd probably do well to get a job working in some custom car shop to be honest, but I've chosen my work life already and I'm happy with it as well - so that's probably not going to happen any time soon.