Engine Pinging Intermitently

OKEH1

I have noticed over the past few weeks an annoying problem, I will be joining a freeway or have diving in town traffic, I go to accelerate and the car seems to lose powerand pings very loudly for maybe 10-15 seconds, then pulls away.

I use premium gas so cant understand what could be causing it.

My car has 48000 on the clock and been regularly serviced at Lexus.

I had the worst occasion yesterday when after driving 50 miles down the freeway ata steady 65-70mph, I turned off down the ramp and stoped at the lights, went to turn and the engine rattled like no tomorrow.

I intend to take it to Lexus today to get their opinion, but as the mileage is so near to 50000 my guess is they wont be interested.

I have noticed over the past few weeks an annoying problem, I will be joining a freeway or have diving in town traffic, I go to accelerate and the car seems to lose powerand pings very loudly for maybe 10-15 seconds, then pulls away.

I had the worst occasion yesterday when after driving 50 miles down the freeway ata steady 65-70mph, I turned off down the ramp and stoped at the lights, went to turn and the engine rattled like no tomorrow.

I intend to take it to Lexus today to get their opinion, but as the mileage is so near to 50000 my guess is they wont be interested.

This is a shot in the dark, but if you have carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, it will effectively raise the compression ratio and cause pre-detonation even with premium gas.

Have you been reading this thread?

Oh man, what is with the carbon deposits?

Judging by your emoticon, I gather that you are skeptical and I don't blame you since until recently there haven't been any reports of carbon buildup around here on the RX.

Personally, my wife's RX is running fine, but I am aware that owners of older SCs and GSs have had carbon buildup problems so it's not like Lexus is immune from the condition.

The thread originator has almost 50,000 miles and if some of those were with cheap gas then it's a definite possibility.

As long as you are under 50,000 miles, they must address the problem. Whether or not it is a warranty concern, I cannot say. Make sure it is written up and that you have a copy!

did you know you can still buy a lexus extended warranty as long as you still under the original warranty.. granted it's over $2000 and it started when you first purchase your car, but it's good until your car reaches 100,000 miles. Also replacing the tranny is in the $4,000 range..

The Lexus Powertrain Warranty lasts 72 months or 70,000 miles. This would cover the pinging. Take it in and get it fixed.