8-speed Tranny

When I drive my 05 LS on the highway, I have to downshift twice to go from 6th to 4th if I need passing power. Kind of a paint in the butt, but no the end of the world. On the new LS, though, am I going to have to go from 8th to 4th to get the passing power I need? That sounds like a major pain.

Why do you have to downshift to get passing power? The automatic transmission selects the proper gear based on the throttle position. I've never felt the need to downshift manually to get power, even in my ES which is MUCH less powerful than an LS.

i heard its a smart shifter, meaning if you press further down on the pedal on the freeway, it will automatically shift from 8 to like 4 lol.

Thats how all automatic transmissions work...

Just drove a LS460 and the 8-speed is killer, super low 4.59 for quick takeoff, closer range 2-6 gears for almost seamless shifting and 7-8 overdrive for better fuel economy. Great LS.

Just drove a LS460 and the 8-speed is killer, super low 4.59 for quick takeoff, closer range 2-6 gears for almost seamless shifting and 7-8 overdrive for better fuel economy. Great LS.

That's good to hear...Tell us more about the car: the ride, quietness, handling, comfort, etc,etc,etc...

Too much stuff to type, my hands would cramp up. Lots of options, best one is the executive rear seat package with the recliner chair and shiatsu massage, infrared body sensors for the rear A/C, power trunk opener/closer, VGRS, EPS. Nice brake HOLD button. Push it and it lock the brakes, so you can release the brake pedal at a stop, step on the gas and it releases the brakes. Electric parking brake that releases automaticly, when you go into gear. Lots of torque from the motor. over a hunderd horsepower more than the 430, with .3 liters bigger motor and better fuel economy. Electric intake VVt-i, hollow cams, 0w-20 oil, engines are balanced, balanced with a trans, then with the drivetrain, then with the car, 4 times total. Lots of stuff, too much to list.

I work for a dealer, so we get to go to the product launches. Drove the LS460 vs BMW and Benz on a road course to see how the Lexus product domniates the S-class and 7-series last week.