Bluetooth Issues In 2005 Gx470

darylhuff

I've had a love/hate relationship with the bluetooth capabilities of my 2005 GX470 since I purchased the car in late '04. I really like having the built-in, hands-free capability and the fact that it is integrated so well with the rest of the audio system.

However, there are features that have driven me nuts since day one as well. My last phone was a Nokia 6820 and it worked OK with the system. My big problem was that if I made a call from the handset while it was paired with the car, the Lexus bluetooth system would only pick up a couple of seconds *after* the party I was calling picked up. Not after the phone started ringing, there actually had to be a pick-up on the other end.

At my last service I had a 2007 RX350 as a loaner with bluetooth. This unit worked as I would have expected. When I made a call from the handset, the Lexus bluetooth immediatly picked up on the phone call and I could actually hear the ringing in the audio system of the car. When the party I was calling picked up, I actually heard the pick up (something that never happens in my 2005 GX470).

Do other 2005 owners have the same problem when dialing a call from the handset?

It has reciently gotten worse. I just upgraded my phone to the new Nokia E70. It is a fantastic phone for those who aren't familiar with the new Nokia phones. The problem is that the bluetooth capabilities of the Lexus work even worse with this phone than the old 6820. when I place a call (either from the handset or from the nav head unit), the call goes through (apparent on the handset and the party I called later reported getting a call), but there is no audio through the Lexus audio/bluetooth system or the handset. Same with an incoming call. The Lexus phone screen appears when an incoming calls is received, but when I hit the pick-up button there is only silence.

I have an appointment to have my local Lexus dealer look at the problem. I'm wondering what other folks experience is with the 2005 bluetooth and, if they have had problems, if they have had luck getting Lexus to address the problem. One would hope that this could be solved with a firmware flash of the bluetooth unit.

I've had a love/hate relationship with the bluetooth capabilities of my 2005 GX470 since I purchased the car in late '04. I really like having the built-in, hands-free capability and the fact that it is integrated so well with the rest of the audio system.

However, there are features that have driven me nuts since day one as well. My last phone was a Nokia 6820 and it worked OK with the system. My big problem was that if I made a call from the handset while it was paired with the car, the Lexus bluetooth system would only pick up a couple of seconds *after* the party I was calling picked up. Not after the phone started ringing, there actually had to be a pick-up on the other end.

At my last service I had a 2007 RX350 as a loaner with bluetooth. This unit worked as I would have expected. When I made a call from the handset, the Lexus bluetooth immediatly picked up on the phone call and I could actually hear the ringing in the audio system of the car. When the party I was calling picked up, I actually heard the pick up (something that never happens in my 2005 GX470).

Do other 2005 owners have the same problem when dialing a call from the handset?

It has reciently gotten worse. I just upgraded my phone to the new Nokia E70. It is a fantastic phone for those who aren't familiar with the new Nokia phones. The problem is that the bluetooth capabilities of the Lexus work even worse with this phone than the old 6820. when I place a call (either from the handset or from the nav head unit), the call goes through (apparent on the handset and the party I called later reported getting a call), but there is no audio through the Lexus audio/bluetooth system or the handset. Same with an incoming call. The Lexus phone screen appears when an incoming calls is received, but when I hit the pick-up button there is only silence.

I have an appointment to have my local Lexus dealer look at the problem. I'm wondering what other folks experience is with the 2005 bluetooth and, if they have had problems, if they have had luck getting Lexus to address the problem. One would hope that this could be solved with a firmware flash of the bluetooth unit.

I have a 06 GX and use a Motorola Razr phone with Cingular. When I make a call using the bluetooth system in the GX, I can always hear the phone I'm calling ring and also hear the other person answer the phone. Now the voice quality on either end isn't that great, but its understandable on both ends. Incoming calls mute out the audio system with a ringing tone and a incoming call message showing up on the nav system screen.

I have a 05 GX470 and it does the same thing. I hate it... I use a Motorola V505 on Cingular. Let us know if the dealer has a cure.

• 3 months later...

I have a '05 that I took delivery on 12/24/04. It does not have bluetooth - can it be added?

If you have the optional navigation system, it includes bluetooth. Otherwise it would cost a king's ransom

to change the whole system over. It would be cheaper to get a new GX.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found the cure to this problem?

Not sure if this is a solution, but do you have a Vaistech module in your vehicle? I believe darylhuff has one and that might be the problem. Over at clublexus, if you do a search, some of the recent vaistech modules have been causing problems with the bluetooth. According to Vaistech, its supposed to be a firmware issue. You may want to check it out. Good luck.