Rx300 Transaxle Overhaul

Richard Carver

As a new RX300 owner I've been disturbed by the horror stories concerning the reliability of these transmissions, 5000 for a new one, 3500 used, it just didn't make sense. These are cars and these are just transmissions, it can't be that different from anything else.

So I called my transmission guy who has rebuilt a couple of Lincoln transmissions for me and he said the labor to rebuild it would be 400 dollars and the complete parts kit would be 550 and if I needed a torque converter that would be 250.

So, 1200 bucks and I'm back on the road...am I missing something here???

As a new RX300 owner I've been disturbed by the horror stories concerning the reliability of these transmissions, 5000 for a new one, 3500 used, it just didn't make sense. These are cars and these are just transmissions, it can't be that different from anything else.

So I called my transmission guy who has rebuilt a couple of Lincoln transmissions for me and he said the labor to rebuild it would be 400 dollars and the complete parts kit would be 550 and if I needed a torque converter that would be 250.

So, 1200 bucks and I'm back on the road...am I missing something here???

NO.

• 4 weeks later...

What symptoms did you have before you learned your tranny was on the brink? Likewise. I am horrified by what I hear...but is there anything we can do to prevent these horror stories?

Soraya

My transmission hasn't failed and I don't expect it to, at least prematurely. This is my first Lexus and it took a bit of getting used to as far as what is needed for maintenance. Apparently, a lot of Lexus owners believed the book when it said the transmission was maintenance free up to 100,000 miles and that simply isn't true of any complex machinery that operates in as hostile an environment as a transmission does.

Nothing can guarantee a perfect experience but having the tranny flushed every 20-30k will go a long way towards that experience. Some do it sooner and some do it in their driveway by draining and refilling three times over a 500 mile period, this isn't rocket science. :D

• 1 month later...

I have a 2000, with 80k and my transmission went out today while sitting at a light on a very busy street.

Symptoms, about 2 months ago - one time it acted strange after putting it into gear, nothing since then. This afternoon, as I left the office, it did it again at a light - didn't want to go when I accelerated. My auto repair was within 5 miles so I thought to head straight there. I did not make it past the next light and I was towed to the shop.

We do not have a price estimate as of yet - that's coming tomorrow but the internet searchs have me very scared.

I did a search here and did not find any other posts in this forum about the transmissions. How wide spread is the problem? With such low mileage I'm shocked.

Suzan

There is a huge amount of data and forum on tranny failures on this site. Just type in Transmission failures RX300. Please also note that the fluid should be changed every 15k miles. The dealership will not tell you this officially. Also if you have a failure and are not near the warranty, get it done by an independent shop, not Lexus, because they will not give you any breaks. $4300 is about the norm at Lexus of America.

I have a 2000, with 80k and my transmission went out today while sitting at a light on a very busy street.

Symptoms, about 2 months ago - one time it acted strange after putting it into gear, nothing since then. This afternoon, as I left the office, it did it again at a light - didn't want to go when I accelerated. My auto repair was within 5 miles so I thought to head straight there. I did not make it past the next light and I was towed to the shop.

We do not have a price estimate as of yet - that's coming tomorrow but the internet searchs have me very scared.

I did a search here and did not find any other posts in this forum about the transmissions. How wide spread is the problem? With such low mileage I'm shocked.

Suzan

Hi Suzan, If you're in Dallas I'll give you ol' Juan's phone number. He's on Ross across from Fiesta. The man does good work. :D

There is a huge amount of data and forum on tranny failures on this site. Just type in Transmission failures RX300. Please also note that the fluid should be changed every 15k miles. The dealership will not tell you this officially. Also if you have a failure and are not near the warranty, get it done by an independent shop, not Lexus, because they will not give you any breaks. $4300 is about the norm at Lexus of America.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try searching with those words. Yep, it's outside the warranty and it is at an independent shop that's Lexus certified. We just don't have the bottom line yet. I mentioned to hubby what I read in the earlier post about changing the fluid often and his comment was "yea, I've had mine changed about 3 times now" (he has a 2000 ES300). I wonder why I'v not been told at my oil changes to have the fluid flushed.

Thanks again.

Suzan

RC, $1200 is nice, is yours AWD?

Very nice look inside, how'd you do that light color wood interior?

It's FWD, I believe the parts kit *is* more expensive for the AWD. Google "transmission rebuild kits" and you can find the cost fairly easily.

I like the interior, I don't think the wood is any lighter than any other, it's probably the picture. :)