Timing Belt 91 Ls 400-120k On It

poway

Hello Lexus owners,

Why change the timing belt? It's an expensive repair and car runs perfect. What do we risk if this preventative maint isn't performed? How long can we put off this repair?

Thanx

There are alot of posts about timing belts on here. Being that your car is a no interference engine, if the belt breaks, it won't cause any head damage. On other cars if the belt breaks, it would cost an arm and a leg to repair.Having said that, I would never wait till the belt breaks, damages or not, but you will get stranded. Have your belt checked for cracks and such, but at 120K, it is due, I wouldn't postpone it for too long.

Hello Lexus owners,

Why change the timing belt? It's an expensive repair and car runs perfect. What do we risk if this preventative maint isn't performed? How long can we put off this repair?

Thanx

its not really a "repair", it's doing proper maitainence. despite 91 LS4 is non-interferrence engine (broken TB will not produce bent valves), but you don;t really want to get stranded late at night in nowhere either.

if you are planning any long trip in a near future, or planning to keep the car for a while, then change it now, I would say. mind you to replace 3x oil seals and drive belt bearing (not just pulley) while tackling the TB jobs.