Removal Of Stock Subwoofer In Ls430

hhnguyen

The subwoofer in my wife's 2001 LS430 is buzzing badly. I need to either repair or replace it. However, I have no clues on what the easiest way to remove the sub. Do I get to it from the trunk or do I need to remove the back seat first? I did a search on this but could not find any relevant info. Any help or pointer is greatly appreaciated. Thanks!

Sometimes the buzzing can be fixed....lift off the cover gently prying from the back seat...if the cone has separated from the outer ring you would apply a bead of black vinyl repair cement all around the outer edge of the cone and outer ring and let it dry overnite before turning on the radio. Worked great on my 90 and no more buzzing.

For manuals that cover nearly everything, I suggest follwing the Lexus web site http://techinfo.lexus.com/ to the Toyota technical site. For nominal fee (I think $10) you can log on for 24 hours, I did that and simply downloaded everything I could find. They may have updated the material, I found the audio / visual material in Section 67.

just about the only flaw I found on the 02 LS430 I took delivery a week ago was the badly buzzing subwoofer.

I took off the top cover (snap-on type), and found that the top foam rim had 3"~4" seperation from the rim wall. so, I pulled my hot-glue gun and patched the seperation (in fact, I went ahead to do a bead of hot-glue around the entire ring to make it even). hot-glue dries in minutes and it did cure the buzzing noise immediately even I cranked the bass to highest level!

Hi, just want to say thank you to all the pointers I've received. When I removed the subwoofer cover, I could see that the paper cone was separated from the rubber ring on one side of the subwoofer. So, I used some vinyl/rubber repair cement (tip from RFeldes) and put a bead on top on the separation. After drying out overnight, the subwoofer now seems to work ok without buzzing. Thanks again......

Hi, just want to say thank you to all the pointers I've received. When I removed the subwoofer cover, I could see that the paper cone was separated from the rubber ring on one side of the subwoofer. So, I used some vinyl/rubber repair cement (tip from RFeldes) and put a bead on top on the separation. After drying out overnight, the subwoofer now seems to work ok without buzzing. Thanks again......

Glad to help..I suggest you go "all the way around" the cone for complete integrity..