How's Rx On Snow And Icy Conditions?

biocpu

I am thinking to buy RX330/350. I live in Montana. Snow shovel is very efficient, so normally the road is not so bad but early morning/late evening can be slippery. A SUV is more prone to roll over than a sedan - how bad can it be? I mostly drive in a city and would like to know how RX performs at sudden stop or braking (eg, at a stop sign). RX is smaller and lighter than other SUVs - does this mean better or worse than other SUVs on icy roads?

From www, I read " The only problem I have with RX300 is that I usually find myself losing control of the car on snow and ice covered roads even with snow tires.". But to the contrary "I drove the vehicle to a empty parking lot with deep snow with ice layer, stepped on the gas and when it reached 40Km/h, I made a sharp turn to the right. The VSC works its magic and brought the car back to my control (I did exactly the same to MDX, X5, and ML320, the control with the X5 and RX was the best).".

BTW, there is no Lexus dealership in MT (I will have to get a used car). Could this be any serious trouble?

Your first hand experience will be appreciated.

I cannot imagine having difficulty in the snow with an RX. Perhaps the person writing the criticism did not have AWD. My RX300 never let me down. So I'm sure my RX350 will prove steadfast as well. I drive on snow and ice with little trepidation in the RX. My only fear is the other guy! And when I am in the Pocono mountains where there is always snow throughout the winter, I feel very safe. Of course, I don't do anything stupid either.

I cannot imagine having difficulty in the snow with an RX. Perhaps the person writing the criticism did not have AWD. My RX300 never let me down. So I'm sure my RX350 will prove steadfast as well. I drive on snow and ice with little trepidation in the RX. My only fear is the other guy! And when I am in the Pocono mountains where there is always snow throughout the winter, I feel very safe. Of course, I don't do anything stupid either.

We usually do not get to much snow here...but driving in what we have had it has been fantastic...stops great turns great...and I have tried in parking lots to loose control just to see what it would do in the snow and ice...The AWD system and VSC is great! I do not think that you will have any trouble with it...but no matter what you have ICE can be a problem...if you are driving to fast!

I am thinking to buy RX330/350. I live in Montana. Snow shovel is very efficient, so normally the road is not so bad but early morning/late evening can be slippery. A SUV is more prone to roll over than a sedan - how bad can it be? I mostly drive in a city and would like to know how RX performs at a sudden stop or braking (eg, at stop sign). RX is smaller and lighter than other SUVs - does this mean better or worse than other SUVs on icy roads?

From www, I read " The only problem I have with RX300 is that I usually find myself losing control of the car on snow and ice covered roads even with snow tires.". But to the contrary "I drove the vehicle to a empty parking lot with deep snow with ice layer, stepped on the gas and when it reached 40Km/h, I made a sharp turn to the right. The VSC works its magic and brought the car back to my control (I did exactly the same to MDX, X5, and ML320, the control with the X5 and RX was the best).".

Your first hand experience will be appreciated.

My years in MT in the early sixties were spent with RWD and tire chains. I haven't driven our 2001 AWD RX300 in MT very much, just out and back (Seattle/Lewistown) a few times and the only snow I have encountered was between GF and Helena and over the divide. My RX has 1.5" wheel spacers all around so I can install tire chains on the rear when there are needed. Otherwise Lexus recommends tire chains ONLY on the front, a patently UNSAFE, even hazardous situation. We have had some pretty severe snow and ice days here on the eastside of the Seattle area but I am always quick to install the rear chains so the RX300 did fine so equipped.

If I go into the mountains for skiing I take our 94 AWD Ford Aerostar.

The RX series is front torque biased 95/5 natively, and rear torque can rise to a high of about 25% with extended periods of front slippage. That 25% likely only applies to the RX300 and RX350 as the VC was dropped for the RX330 series.

And keep in mind that ABS' purpose is to extend your stopping distance via keeping the front wheels from locking up and thereby allowing you to maintain directional control.

If I were in your shoes I would look to the BMW X3 with manual transmission for survival in MT winters.

Our 92 Jeep Cherokee LIMITED was retired to a ranch in north central MT, north of Denton, in 2000 and has now survived 5 years of pretty severe MT winters without even a scratch, RWD, AWD, and 4X4 modes.

Driving in Ottawa Canada, with the RX330 on snow tires has been exceptional. We get lots of snow, freezing rain, you name it. With lots of driving up/down the mountain to Mont Tremblant, I have no complaints.

I live in Utah on a steep road along the bench of the Wasatch mountains. I bought an RX (02), and later a GX (04), especially for the all-wheel drive & VSC systems. They both perform very well in winter driving conditions. On the RX I run Michelin Arctic snow tires for added braking performance. It helps to drive carefully too - you already know this if you've wintered in MT. I don't think roll-over is a particular concern with the RX over any other SUV with a higher center of gravity. Even on the steep hill I drive on every day, I've never had a problem either going or stopping with either SUV.

Yes, I have the 18's goodyears. Just drive sensably and all is well. Never had a problem or scare last year in the snow at all---unless I provoked it, playing around then the all the wizzardry electronics kicked it and straightened me out:)

Yes, I have the 18's goodyears. Just drive sensably and all is well. Never had a problem or scare last year in the snow at all---unless I provoked it, playing around then the all the wizzardry electronics kicked it and straightened me out:)

same here! :lol: :D