Cost For A New Strut And Spring

white knight

My car is 1995 ls400 and it has 150K miles on it. Still run smooth and strong and problem free. I feel it time to replace strut and spring. The rear end dip a little more than the front every time I hit a dip and pot hole. I called Sewell Lexus and they quote me

for the front $110 for strut and $ 154 for spring

for the rear $ 108 for strut and $ 110 for spring. Total over $1050.00 just for parts

I search the forum and I see people get them for only$ 55 a piece. How and where do they get them from ? Please help, I am apperciated

WK, order your parts online if you are going to buy from Sewell. See the pic below to see what I paid for shocks. I too was suprised by the price when I bought the shocks because I remember seeing them for $50/piece; I think there was a new part number or something that bumped the price up. If you search on Club Lexus, there are usually some discount codes floating around or if you are a LOC Gold there is one as well, so that will help the price out as well. The price they gave you for the springs sounds about right; they are usually in the ~$100 range.

My car got about an inch taller after I changed my struts (but they had a lot more miles on them than yours do.). Maybe yours will do the same, so that might be something to consider before buying new springs.

post-1461-1159406109_thumb.jpg

WK, order your parts online if you are going to buy from Sewell. See the pic below to see what I paid for shocks. I too was suprised by the price when I bought the shocks because I remember seeing them for $50/piece; I think there was a new part number or something that bumped the price up. If you search on Club Lexus, there are usually some discount codes floating around or if you are a LOC Gold there is one as well, so that will help the price out as well. The price they gave you for the springs sounds about right; they are usually in the ~$100 range.

My car got about an inch taller after I changed my struts (but they had a lot more miles on them than yours do.). Maybe yours will do the same, so that might be something to consider before buying new springs.

thank Blake for helping me out, now I only need to search for the discount code.

Whiteknight.. I seriously doubt u'll need to change ur springs as well with 150k on them. I have replaced a few struts in my life, on cars with mileage higher then that, and the new struts alone brought them back to original condition. Just a quick note.. a fast way to check ur suspensions is to apply your weight right on the quarter panel of the side u wanna check, try to bounce it a few times, and stop applying your weight... if the car comes right back up, only once.. then the suspension is still good, if it bounces more then once before it settles then the suspension is shot! This is a good way to check,, provided that you weight more then sayyy.. 130 lbs, if not.. then have a friend help you :whistles:

I thinking about change the spring because the rear is lower than the front now, even with no load on the car and emplty fuel tank. The different is not much , maybe 1 inches lower , but you can see it easy by standing outside the car. SO do I still need to change the rear spring only or change all 4 to make it balance ?