Cylinder Head Gasket

Paid for

The original owner tells me that about 2 years ago he had the cyliner head gasket replaced and the head sent off and no damge was found. Is it better that this was done or can I expect some future problems? Is this a big job and what was the cost to do this?

Thanks for the info

The original owner tells me that about 2 years ago he had the cyliner head gasket replaced and the head sent off and no damge was found. Is it better that this was done or can I expect some future problems? Is this a big job and what was the cost to do this?

Thanks for the info

If it was done properly, I'd prefer that it was already done. The 80 series landcruisers (particularly the later years, 96 and 97) have been prone to head gasket failure. The head gasket design was subsequently modified and improved to prevent this. I'm unaware of anyone with the replacement head gasket, having a subsequent failure.

Yes, its a pretty big job and prices can vary depending on what all has to be done, but I'd say this job will typically run you around 3k.

The main thing on these vehicle's is to keep the coolant system in optimal run condition. A subpar cooling system (partially clogged radiator, improperly functioning t-stat, improperly functioning fan clutch, or anything else of this sort) results in elevated engine temps which strains the gasket more. The head on this vehicle is aluminum and very long, so you get differential movement between the head and block that typically results in a gasket failure at the #6 cylinder. With all the systems on these vehicles to lower emissions and maximize full economy, you get higher engine temps. Combine that with a poorly maintained coolant system, and that's when you get into trouble.

I try and do a complete coolant flush every 18 months or so.

It's the only major acheilles heel of this vehicle. If it's already been fix, and you keep the cooling system in good order, you've got a highly dependible rig that will last you 300k easy.

Regards,

Rookie.

I think original head gasket failures are know to occur in any year of the 80 series w/ the 1FZ engine, depending on maintenance. The culprit was Toyota had changed from asbestos head gaskets to non-asbestos types and had yet to perfect them. Ditto for the 90-95 4runner V6's (those blown HG's showed up quickly, so there was a TSB or recall). A number of 80's guys are starting to change them as preventative maintenance. I suppose it doesn't help if the vehicle was driven on many short trips, as the engine doesnt' have time to thoroughly warm up. If it was changed w/ an OEM HG as PM, that's good. If it was changed due to a blown HG, that's not good. Frankly, I'm more worried about used vehicles having low miles than high miles. Low miles either means it was driven on few, long trips or lots of short trips. Ask the owner how most of those miles were put on. Oh, also check for worn birfield joints (clicking sound if you turn slowly w/ the wheel all the way over?) You also might want to ask if they replaced any head bolts. They generally can be reused once, depending on condition.

Thanks for the info

If it was done properly, I'd prefer that it was already done. The 80 series landcruisers (particularly the later years, 96 and 97) have been prone to head gasket failure. The head gasket design was subsequently modified and improved to prevent this. I'm unaware of anyone with the replacement head gasket, having a subsequent failure.

Yes, its a pretty big job and prices can vary depending on what all has to be done, but I'd say this job will typically run you around 3k.

The main thing on these vehicle's is to keep the coolant system in optimal run condition. A subpar cooling system (partially clogged radiator, improperly functioning t-stat, improperly functioning fan clutch, or anything else of this sort) results in elevated engine temps which strains the gasket more. The head on this vehicle is aluminum and very long, so you get differential movement between the head and block that typically results in a gasket failure at the #6 cylinder. With all the systems on these vehicles to lower emissions and maximize full economy, you get higher engine temps. Combine that with a poorly maintained coolant system, and that's when you get into trouble.

I try and do a complete coolant flush every 18 months or so.

It's the only major acheilles heel of this vehicle. If it's already been fix, and you keep the cooling system in good order, you've got a highly dependible rig that will last you 300k easy.

Regards,

Rookie.