Squeaking And Not A Mouse

No koalas under the bonnet mates. In fact I do have koalas and wallabies (a type of small kangaroo) living in my yard, as my house adjoins a National Park. I also have possums (like a squirrel) and the occasional deadly, red-belly black snake). All this just 50 miles north from Sydney!

But none of these critters are under my bonnet.

I have only just purchased the car, and notice the squealing when I start the car and all the time. The car has only done around 40,000 miles and has a full service histroy, so I doubt the belts would need replacing. I just rang my local Toyota service centre and they suggested bringing it and and said they will simply spray some lube on the belts. What do you guys think?

Are you sure you don't have a koala caught in the belts ?!...

sorry couldn't resist.:whistles:

Geo

actaully the belts should be replaced at about 45k miles or every 5 years according to the "masters".

They are only rubber and it tends to dry and crack over time especially with heat. Time is actually a bigger factor on rubber than usage in this case.

Just inspect the back sides of the belts, if they are brittle or cracked then replace them. They ain't that bad in price. Don't use any belt dressings, as these are only a temporary fix and only mask the symptoms yet do nothing for the cause.

The other possibiltiy is that a belt is loose. Start the car, and with out moving the car turn the steering wheel. If it yelps louder, then it is most likely the PS belt. If not, then the ALT/AC belt. However, my rule of thumb is if you replace one, then do the other.

steviej

Stevie

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will check the belts today. Just out of interest, I understand there is a PS belt, and an Alt/AC belt (is this the same as a fan belt?). And what of the timing belts in these cars? Are they rubber or chain, and do they ever squeak?

Cheers

Stephen

PS: The weather in Sydney today is !Removed! lovely. I just saw a beautiful bronze skink laying out in the sun on my terrace.

actaully the belts should be replaced at about 45k miles or every 5 years according to the "masters".

They are only rubber and it tends to dry and crack over time especially with heat. Time is actually a bigger factor on rubber than usage in this case.

Just inspect the back sides of the belts, if they are brittle or cracked then replace them. They ain't that bad in price. Don't use any belt dressings, as these are only a temporary fix and only mask the symptoms yet do nothing for the cause.

The other possibiltiy is that a belt is loose. Start the car, and with out moving the car turn the steering wheel. If it yelps louder, then it is most likely the PS belt. If not, then the ALT/AC belt. However, my rule of thumb is if you replace one, then do the other.

steviej

Do koalas really taste like chicken ? I bet they taste good on the BBQ. B)

A bronze skink laying out on the terrace ? What no women ?

You Aussies are strange.

Geo

P.S - My 2001's belt squeaks for a minute or so and stops as the car warms up. Not all the time but still a bit irritating.