Help! New 98 Ls Owner With A Few Problems

georgiamatt

Hi all! I am the proud new owner of a black 98 ls400 with 103k and I love this forum. This is my first post so forgive me if I am not the best at it. I have a couple of problems that I would love to get some assitance/ advice on.

Ok so here's the deal My car has this little problem that usually happens only when the car isn't fully warmed up

or the temp is low (aka the morning time). I get in the car and start her up, starts fine. Then after I pull out of my house and start to head up the first hill it seems to go great for a minute and then seemingly lose power for a moment.... if I take my foot off the gas and hit again the power picks right back up..... once I get going down the road it seems fine and this only seems to happen in low throttle situations. I don't know if maybe it could be a dirty fuel filter, shift solenoids... I am baffled.... thanks electronic throttle :chairshot: For a little background as to what I have done to the car since I have owned it

1. new air filter and spark plugs-- both changed myself -- my problem seemed to start or get to the point that I noticed it after this btw

2. new starter installed by local shop-- nice placement lexus :chairshot:

3. new tranny mount local shop

4. new battery-- me

Just a side note... my tranny shifts great but does has that little bump when first put into gear.. suspect engine mounts.. however I will note that the tranny fluid is very light pink more of a browish pink.. no metal noticed though.. I did go ahead and buy a case of tranny fluid. guess a drain and fill is in order? OK your turn folks. please help a newbie out here!!!! I love this car and this little "issue" is scaring me to death since I have only owned it for a month.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

According to a service adviser at my local Lexus dealer, a feature of the 98-up LS prevents valve train damage by keeping the transmission from shifting into higher gears and limiting the action of the electronically connected throttle until the engine is warmed up a little. I mostly notice it when the temperature is below 50 degrees. I have to drive several 25 mph blocks until I reach a main street so I may not notice this feature as much as others. You might ask your dealer to explain this feature as I don't remember it being documented in the owners manual.

New engine mounts can do wonders to elminate vibrations and I assume your new transmission mount helped some. 8-9 years on motor mounts is a lot regardless of mileage; I need to think about having mine changed since my LS is six years old.

According a service adviser at my local Lexus dealer, a feature of the 98-up LS prevents valve train damage by keeping the transmission from shifting into higher gears and limiting the action of the electronically connected throttle until the engine is warmed up a little. I mostly notice it when the temperature is below 50 degrees. I have to drive several 25 mph blocks until I reach a main street so I may not notice this feature as much as others. You might ask your dealer to explain this feature as I don't remember it being documented in the owners manual.

I only have one problem with that though. Sometimes it does it even once the engine is warmed up to normal op temp..... It always eventually stops after a few minutes of driving though.... One thing I forgot to mention,

I also changed to mobil 1 oil and it seems it is taking my engine a little longer to warm up... not sure if that has anything to do with the prob or not.. The engine purrs like a new one.... has since I bought it.

Thanks for the info though I might try letting it warm a bit more before going off next time and see if that helps?

btw the temp has been in the 45 to 60 deg range here when I started noticing it so you may be right about that.... I hope so!