Suspense Issue (yet Another)

I've recently started hearing a clunking sound coming from the front of my 02 GS, whenever I change gear (Drive/Reverse) or make a turn. I made an appointment to take the car to Lexus next week; I think the problem might be the front bushings (either front control arm or sway bar).

I'm wondering if this would be a good time to install upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars. I'd love to do the coilovers as well, but can't afford the $900 for the tein's I have my eye on.

Anyway, any feedback from the knowledgable Lexus crew would be hepful. Anyone ever had the clunking sound as well? recommendations on front/rear sway bar upgrades? I saw a set from "Daizen" on a Lexus-parts site.

Thanks,

JJ

the clunk might be the brake pads being loose and shifting around in the calipers? do you hear the sound with the brakes applied when at speed while turning?

i would go with the teins first and worry about the swaybars later.

some people say the daizens are not aggressive enough and suggest TRD blues.

the clunk might be the brake pads being loose and shifting around in the calipers? do you hear the sound with the brakes applied when at speed while turning?

i would go with the teins first and worry about the swaybars later.

some people say the daizens are not aggressive enough and suggest TRD blues.

Interesting, I just had the brake pads replaced back in June and it's afterwards that I started hearing the noise. I'll pay close attention on my favorite off ramp turn where I turn in fast and tap the brakes right at the apex...I'll make sure to turn down the stereo though HAHAHA! I only have 22k miles on the car, so this seemes a little early for this type of issue.

I'm not looking for anything TOO aggressive, but your point is a good one.

Thanks for the help!

JJ

Interesting, I just had the brake pads replaced back in June and it's afterwards that I started hearing the noise. I'll pay close attention on my favorite off ramp turn where I turn in fast and tap the brakes right at the apex...I'll make sure to turn down the stereo though HAHAHA! I only have 22k miles on the car, so this seemes a little early for this type of issue.

I'm not looking for anything TOO aggressive, but your point is a good one.

Thanks for the help!

JJ

that suggestion about the brakes came from my experience with loose pads in my parents' rx300. it is a known complaint with the rx... not sure if it's the same problem on the gs.

some things to consider: that the daizens are adjustable and the TRDs are not. the daizens are noticably stiffer than stock, but the TRDs are even stiffer than the daizens. some people have complained about the TRDs being too stiff because they can really limit suspension travel and it can be uncomfortable over unven surfaces (eg. sideways over railroad crossings, speed bumps, etc.).

not sure if its your problem, but the brake complaint is pretty common with most toyotas. 2 things...

1st...the caliper fix kit should be changed. those are the clips between the pads and the caliper bracket.

2nd...if the rotors are grooved (lots of small grooves like a record, for those of you that still remember records ;) ) a bit, the pads tend to get a bit stuck in these grooves then move back and forth with the rotor.

1st...the caliper fix kit should be changed. those are the clips between the pads and the caliper bracket.

Had the same problem with mine....you are absolutely correct the issue is the clips on the pads for the brakes....google or seach here for "shim kits" or ask your lexus dealer.

UPDATE:

I took her in for the appointment. The issue is called "caliper shift" and this is a natural occurence with these cars...at least that's what I was told by the service tech who handled my case. So, nothing was done to the front end and the suspense got a free bill of health.

Apparently, this shift is normal (and intended).

I'm not sure if this is related to the other posts I've seen in this forum for funky sounds coming from the front end, while turning, at slow speeds, or after applyign/releasing brakes...but it's all I have for now.

Feedback?