Vibration Mystery

chriscopp

95 SC300 w/90k. A distinct vibration felt below the passenger compartment and rear of car beginning at 65, worst at 75, and tapering off but still noticeable from 80+. Doesn't matter if under power or not. In addition to vibration, car sounds like it has truck tires on it when vibration starts. Absolutely no vibration or shake in sterring wheel. I have replaced tires with new Michelin's, centering rings added to after market wheels (even changed out wheels to eliminate that as cause) - no change. New drive shaft installed - no change. Bell Lexus in Phx had car for two weeks and it was a nightmare; they didn't have a clue how to fix it. I'm reading similar, but not the exact same problem, and comments about CV joints or transmission mounts, which Lexus said they checked and were not the cause. Pretty frustrating when the manufacturer can't even fix the problem. If anyone has experienced this vibration (without front end for streering vibration) and knows the fix, I would be grateful. Hate to give up car because it rides like a Lexus up to 60 mph, but I can't "live" with the problem as some have suggested. Thanks.

Hey Chris, I have read somewhere it could also be your engine mounts, I know tranny mount failure is not all that uncommon on older sc's. Sorry I can't be of more help but still learning - bought 92 SC 300 last month. Doug

Thx for the reply Doug. I have also read that it could be engine or tranny mounts, CV joints, or ball joints. I'm just hoping to find someone who has had the exact same problem and knows the fix before I needlessly start replacing things that won't cure the problem.

• 1 year later...

Hey Chris, I have read somewhere it could also be your engine mounts, I know tranny mount failure is not all that uncommon on older sc's. Sorry I can't be of more help but still learning - bought 92 SC 300 last month. Doug

Thx for the reply Doug. I have also read that it could be engine or tranny mounts, CV joints, or ball joints. I'm just hoping to find someone who has had the exact same problem and knows the fix before I needlessly start replacing things that won't cure the problem.

change the transmission mount....I just did mine...made a big difference....

How difficult is that to change, longball? I have a strange lurch when my car shifts into 2nd when accellerating slowly... And I swear there's this FAINT vibration coming from somwhere... Could just be my paranoia though, because I had some bad tires on it until a week ago, and was so excited about getting new ones and being able to drive fast again haha.

How difficult is that to change, longball? I have a strange lurch when my car shifts into 2nd when accellerating slowly... And I swear there's this FAINT vibration coming from somwhere... Could just be my paranoia though, because I had some bad tires on it until a week ago, and was so excited about getting new ones and being able to drive fast again haha.

very easy to change....I am no mechanical genius at all and it took me less than 1hr.....jack up the front end....look around the drive shaft and you will see it...eight bolts to remove.....a very cheap fix and can make a huge difference....

There are several posts and pix here re replacing the trans mount, which is reasonably easy to do. Remember to support the trans while you do it: the easy way is to use ramps to get the front wheels off the ground, then use the LEXUS jack to support the trans, making sure to use a flat, square piece of scrap wood between the jack and the trans pan, this to spread out the force against the trans pan and avoid denting it. Also, use 1/2" drive and a 6 point socket on the 4 bolts that attach the trans mount bracket to the frame. The rest is easy: just remove and replace the bracket and the mount - you will notice that the rubber on the old mount has been compressed quite a bit when compared to the new mount. The repair makes a noticeable difference in drivability/smoothness and should be done on all SC cars with 100K or more. Make sure to chock the wheels before you crawl under the car!!