Help! Overheating!

Sandman

The little radiator symbol had been going on and off for a few days. Yesterday I was at a red light and someone got my attention to tell me I was leaking fluid. The guage had shot up to the top. I pulled off the road into a parking spot and shut the car off. 30 seconds later I started it up for a moment to back it into the spot further and noticed the guage now reading normal!?

When I came back after a few hours and topped off the fluid I was able to drive it approx. 12 minutes on the highway without the meter going past the second hash mark. When I got near home I had to stop for a minute, then the guage started going up right away. Line of drops coming from the car, not sure where from yet. No steam. No antifreeze smell. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

Sandman

Maybe hydraulic oil from the fan? Is the liquid slippery? This would explain the overheating when you stop b/c there is no air passing over the radiator to absorb the heat and carry it away.

I noticed my gauge did that the other day, hasn't done it since. The safest thing & its cheap & easy is to just buy a thermostat & replace it.