Timing On A Lx450

malmon

Hello guys! Got a question.

I have a '97 LX450 with about 90K miles. In went to a Test Only Smog Center yesterday and my emissions passed but the tester failed me on the test because according to him my timing was too advanced (18 BTDC).

My questions are: 1. What should the timing be to pass the CA smog test? 2. Isn't it the computer's job to take care of this timing? Is there anything wrong with my computer or some of my electronics? If so, which part is wrong and how do I correct this? Is there a DIY thread on this?

I've searched the forum and I can't seem to find a thread on this.

Thank you so much for your help. :cheers:

I have a '97 LX450 with about 90K miles. In went to a Test Only Smog Center yesterday and my emissions passed but the tester failed me on the test because according to him my timing was too advanced (18 BTDC).

My questions are: 1. What should the timing be to pass the CA smog test? 2. Isn't it the computer's job to take care of this timing? Is there anything wrong with my computer or some of my electronics? If so, which part is wrong and how do I correct this? Is there a DIY thread on this?

Thank you so much for your help.:cheers:

Many folks (on another board) have advanced their timing as much as 7 to 10 degrees BTDC (trying to get a little more power output), with varying degrees of success. Most find that it results in to much pinging and end up retarding back to the factory recommended setting of 3 degrees BTDC. Your basic Chiltons or Haynes manual will instruct you on how to set the timing, not very difficult. You'll need a timing light to do so.

Under normal operations, the timing fluctuates around some from the base setting (3 degeree BTDC), and the computer will make adjustments (it's a reactive adjustment to out of tolerance fluctuations) to !Removed! it when it gets to far from the base setting. But I think this computer control is based on the fact that the system is properly set to 3 degrees BTDC. It's sounds like your's is to far advanced.

Rookie

Thank you so much for your help.:cheers:

Problem solved. Bought a timing light, set it to factory setting and went back to the testing center. I got the emissions certificate in no time. Anyone interested in a timing light that has been used for less than five minutes :-))