Brake Caliper Rebuild

lexus082

I am very interested in finding out how to rebuild a brake caliper. My rear left caliper seems to be bad. The 8 month old brake pad was completely gone. It dug into the rotor (which I expected) I had no choice but to keep driving it with it grinding against the rotor. That was the left side, the right side still looks almost as thick as the new pads I just bought today.

So I'm just assuming the left rear brake caliper is bad. I don't want to pay $130-230 for a new caliper assembly. I don't want a used caliper either. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to do this with an oem rebuild kit? Then when I get one rebuilt I could rebuild the other rear caliper and it would only cost $18. I remember reading step by step on how to rebuild one but I don't know where I came across the tutorial. Any help would be great.

Also, I want to paint the calipers during the rebuild. I just want them to look a little newer and not so dirty. Can I just use a silver spray paint. Not really looking to have them powder coated or anything special. Unless thats the only thing that will hold the besy as far as the heat from the braking system.

here's a tutorial for the gen I LS front caliper rebuild. it's the same procedure, except your rear caliper has only 1 piston.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbcaliper.html

also, he removes the piston from the caliper assembly before the rubber boot and retainer clip. I personally used a c-clamp to push the pistons all the way back first, after i removed the calipers from the car, in order to remove as much of the old brake fluid as possible (it makes the whole procedure less messy). with the piston fully retracted, i removed the retaining clip and rubber boot. then just follow the rest of the procedure as outlined in the tutorial.