Antenna Installation

coolsi

I ordered a replacement mast from ebay. Got it a couple days ago and tried to install it. Did it with a friend since I didn't want anything to go wrong.

Needless to say... when he was working the pliers on the chrome part he made a scratch right next to it. Attached are pics of the damage.:cries: I hope this can be fixed by a simple wax job.

If you look closely on the first pic, you can also see where the pliers sunk into the plastic piece.. :(

Now that I've given up using his help, I just need to make sure of something- how easily is that chrome piece suppose to loosen? (and it is the correct piece to take off first?)

I ordered a replacement mast from ebay. Got it a couple days ago and tried to install it. Did it with a friend since I didn't want anything to go wrong.

Needless to say... when he was working the pliers on the chrome part he made a scratch right next to it. Attached are pics of the damage.:cries: I hope this can be fixed by a simple wax job.

If you look closely on the first pic, you can also see where the pliers sunk into the plastic piece.. :(

Now that I've given up using his help, I just need to make sure of something- how easily is that chrome piece suppose to loosen? (and it is the correct piece to take off first?)

If you notice, there are four slots on the chrome piece. Those are there so you can put something in there and turn it to loosen it. I would use a flat-head screwdriver with some masking tape covering the sharp end (so you don't damage your paint job if it slips) and put it in one of the four slots and carefully turn it until the chrome collar loosens enough so you can untighten it the rest of the way with your fingers.

Here is a "how to" link with pictures. He uses needle-nose pliers to loosen the chrome piece. Whatever you use, tape it up so it won't damage your paint.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval...ES300PwrAnt.htm

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

the sell antenna sockets for this exact reason. you can actually "cheap out" and buy a plastic antenna wrench that has about 4-6 different antenna sizes.

Couldn't find this anywhere, but...

it seems I may be in need of a new motor now. Besides a junkyard, is there anywhere to find an OEM or perhaps a better designed antenna motor (that will fit a '96)?