Maf Sensor Malfunction

blueviol

What are the typical symptoms of bad MAF sensor?

My car suddenly lost power and wouldn't rev RPM. THe downpipes before the front converters get really hot and red causing some smoke. I first thought it would be the clogged converters, but running the car with the converters removed didn't help.

My mechanic said there is too much fuel going into the cylinders and uncombusted fuel gets into the converter making it get hot.

The engine vibrates and makes weird clogged noise. The RPM wouldn't go anything higher than 1500 and moves up and down by itself when I apply constant gas.

Of course I couldn't drive it faster than 20- 25 mph.

It happened when I was accelerating from 0 to 40 mph in a local highway and I first thought something got loose.

no i recently had an alignment and general check up service at Firestone.

Right after things happened, this one guy found that one cable (was told it was an air cable) was loose.

I put it right back on, but it was the same.

Now my mechanic is saying I might have to change the MAF sensor.

Do you think it can be the reason?

Thanks.

I had identical effects when putting new ignition cables. I mixed two of them up and the car ran just like you've described... Had any cables changed lately ??? good luck ...

Is your check engine light coming on? Mine did when the MAF sensor went bad. You could try cleaning the sensor, it might just be dirty. I recently saw an mass airflow sensor on ebay motors with a low starting bid. Just make sure the year is compatible with your SC400 if go that route. I purchased a used MAF sensor off of ebay. A new one is over $900 and a used one in working condition would be alot cheaper.

When I had my problem I could drive it alright, I think it was hard to drive the rpm's up like you said. Also, when I would come to a stop (traffic light) then rpm's would drop really low, almost like it was about to stall out. I think it actually stalled out once. When the rpm's dropped when at a traffic light my check engine light and TRAC lights would come on also. Also, I think I had about 130,000 miles when the sensor went bad.

hmmm...mine is closing at 250K miles, so I think it's lasted for some good time.

Did your car make clogged engine sound also, and the red hot pipe around the converters?

I will get one off of eBay and see what it will do.

If not, I will need to take it to a dealer and get it checked.

Winter is just around the corner and I tend to have a thought on an S4 these days for that quattro system.

Is your check engine light coming on? Mine did when the MAF sensor went bad. You could try cleaning the sensor, it might just be dirty. I recently saw an mass airflow sensor on ebay motors with a low starting bid. Just make sure the year is compatible with your SC400 if go that route. I purchased a used MAF sensor off of ebay. A new one is over $900 and a used one in working condition would be alot cheaper.

When I had my problem I could drive it alright, I think it was hard to drive the rpm's up like you said. Also, when I would come to a stop (traffic light) then rpm's would drop really low, almost like it was about to stall out. I think it actually stalled out once. When the rpm's dropped when at a traffic light my check engine light and TRAC lights would come on also. Also, I think I had about 130,000 miles when the sensor went bad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a similar problem and the mechanic found the maf to be the problem. A larger problem is finding one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. DirectAuto.com sells rebuilt ones but everyone they send me is dead. They have been having problems with them so I’m still searching.

I have had a similar problem with mine, sent the ecu away to be looked at and come back with a small list, no exact details yet but this was a list

Ignition Problem

Air flow sensor readings

Transmission sensor

Speed Sender

Injector staying open

So that was one of the problems car is still in the workshop waiting on the extractors to come and be fitted before I get it back.

Good luck

Oh I've had a coil go it will run on 4 cylinders if it's the 8, basically a subaru wrx sound and no balls so goes about as good as one does