Is 350 Gt2s Race Car For U.s. Le Mans Pics

• 17 years later...

2006 is not that long ago.

Here is something that is in the future for the most challenging 24 hour race:

https://au.motorsport.com/lemans/news/how-le-mans-is-using-grape-residues-and-hydrogen-to-drive-a-sustainable-future/10479840/

Toyota has a car that could have been ready this year, but rules have changed and hydrogen may not be used in the long race before 2026 -27, but still will be evolved by TotalEnergies and probably will be racing this year in shorter races.

It is really well explained why batteries is not future for delivering power to cars.

I still hope to last long enough to get a hydrogen car.

toyota-gr-h2-concept-3060074.thumb.jpg.b103b3b1bcb80603761264bccf41d3d9.jpg

2024.thumb.png.f3ef18814359af27d40d6c6fd88be501.png

https://www.designboom.com/technology/toyota-gr-super-sport-concept-15-01-2018/

toyotahybrid.thumb.png.06ae7948b37ddc3aca7f521d94c36acc.png

• Like 1

Saw them running Hydrogen cars around the circuit last year, a bit like Garage 56 which is when they trial new technology on the circuit 

Was funny seeing it leaving a huge trail of water along the length of the circuit .... not sure thats good for the others running slicks 🙂

• Like 1

That could be one of the reasons they have postponed to 2026. The more power you want an engine to deliver the more fuel it will need and for hydrogen that will mean more water. Toyota is refining both combustion and fuel cell and only the combustion is sounding like a race car. Do not think the Mirai is pouring out much water when driving https://www.toyota.com/mirai/ but only people living in California have filling stations so it would be worth driving one. No filling stations no hydrogen cars.

Still think that even stupid politicians sooner or later will find out why all the electric cars they are pressing people to buy are not helping getting pollution down when the cars are charged with electricity from more than 50% not green power and the power used to make the batteries is many places coming from coal. Sure the electric cars do pollute so much where they drive, but making them just moved the pollution to another place and pollution need no visa to move.

Here we had 48 degrees Celsius for a first time on the south side of the island; yes weather is getting more extreme everywhere.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lexus-CT said:

That could be one of the reasons they have postponed to 2026. The more power you want an engine to deliver the more fuel it will need and for hydrogen that will mean more water. Toyota is refining both combustion and fuel cell and only the combustion is sounding like a race car. Do not think the Mirai is pouring out much water when driving https://www.toyota.com/mirai/ but only people living in California have filling stations so it would be worth driving one. No filling stations no hydrogen cars.

I drove the Mirai a few years ago at a Toyota press event and one of the questions I had for the technical chaps was to enquire about the H2O button on the dash. They said it is to release the stored water generated as a by-product of the hydrogen conversion. 
Apparently, it is advisable to release the water prior to parking in your garage. I then also asked whether it was pure water or any other contaminants. They replied it was indeed pure water and although you could probably drink it maybe it wasn't the best source to get a drink. However, if it converted to Beer, then I am definitely putting my name down for a Mirai  🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lexus Owners Club said:

I drove the Mirai a few years ago at a Toyota press event and one of the questions I had for the technical chaps was to enquire about the H2O button on the dash. They said it is to release the stored water generated as a by-product of the hydrogen conversion. 
Apparently, it is advisable to release the water prior to parking in your garage. I then also asked whether it was pure water or any other contaminants. They replied it was indeed pure water and although you could probably drink it maybe it wasn't the best source to get a drink. However, if it converted to Beer, then I am definitely putting my name down for a Mirai  🙂

And I thought it was letting out droplets while driving.

Do you know how much water is stored before it must be let out?

Was it like driving an electric car, where charging is as fast as filling a gasoline car instead of needing it charging for hours? And more comfortable than the RX? A limousine should be nicer to drive than a SUV.

Not sure about the water storage capacity but I do know that when we returned from a drive of about 10 miles it released a considerable amount of water when the button was pressed. However, not sure how far it had been driven beforehand so cannot really say how much is produced over a time/distance and how if differs with demands such as speed or temperature, etc.

It is essentially the same as driving an electric car and where it differs is that the energy is provided by a hydrogen fuel cell that delivers current directly to the batteries (which are much smaller in size, weight and capacity than a normal electric car as there is no need to run on stored energy as it is constantly being produced from the fuel cell on demand). 

All round, it is a superb car (albeit costly to purchase) and has huge interior space and comfort (but not RX level), and have to say I think it is definitely the way forward.
The only downside is the lack of available refilling points in the UK (around 12 in total when the car was tested) and mostly around airports for some reason.
When there is more investment in the infrastructure then it will become a more viable and attractive option.

As a footnote, there is a post in this forum from a few years ago about hydrogen shortage in the US due to cold temperatures, storage and transportation issues, etc.....worth a read I reckon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lexus Owners Club said:

As a footnote, there is a post in this forum from a few years ago about hydrogen shortage in the US due to cold temperatures, storage and transportation issues, etc.....worth a read I reckon.

Can I have a link please?

to be fair, I am struggling to find the original post and although I don't think i dreamt it, I'm not sure where it is posted.

I seem to recall that it is somewhere in the States and the original poster was discussing the shortage. I asked why there was a shortage and he replied it was to do with the storage and transportation in adversely cold conditions. 

There should not be any need for transporting hydrogen long distance as all needed to make it is water and electricity. Mid size plants could supply a gas station with 2 or 3 filling points.

A favourable place to make hydrogen would be near coasts where water is abundant and electricity could be made from waves and tide.

Would like a Corolla sized hydrogen car, here parking places on streets are made in Fiat 500 size. Do not expect Lexus cars are still made when hydrogen will be available. Cheaper to have only one brand. Nissan - Infinity. Honda - Acura

• 4 weeks later...

If latest info from BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Toyota (alphabetically mentioned) are correct I may still have a chance to get a hydrogen car, combustion or fuel cell, as long as I do not have to be in a battery powered car it is fine with me.

Toyota will change automotive forever: its hydrogen combustion engine will retire EVs:

by La Grada - 02/26/2024 14:00

image.thumb.png.3fe388bb0744eb8db14b432203567b15.png

Mercedes has realized the fraud of EVs. That is why they are once again betting on combustion cars

image.thumb.png.81f6ea26230d8a17aaf41d6fbfa15c50.png

Pininfarina Enigma GT debuts at Geneva Motor Show with hydrogen powered V6

image.thumb.png.5eca2c8847a1f974e5cebf67927e9a25.png

Honda Reveals 2025 Honda CR-V e:FCEV

image.thumb.png.1b35132f996f3c68f8c6f43a7d6af02d.png

BMW and Mercedes are in talk about finding a way to get hydrogen rolled out in the EU and if they can get Honda, KIA and Toyota on the wagon there may be money enough to get governments interested in helping and it could possibly happen.

Supposedly Honda would want to get markedshare and they have 1 car ready and 1 more is to be ready for sale in 2027 so they could be interested in participating and Toyota was very slow to start EV cars for reasons they have not informed, but selling cars that have a limited possible lifespan was not what Toyota has been doing so far.

I know I shall not believe all I read - and I do not - but Mercedes has publicly informed that they will continue gasoline car production after 2030 and their market-share immediately went 6% up.

• Like 1