Steering Feels A Bit Funny

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Not sure how to describe it - but here it goes. Imagine that you're hanging on to two pieces of stretchy rope and steering the car by pulling on either rope. My LS isn't quite that bad - but it kinda feels like that. [if that makes any sense] There is a delay from when I turn the steering wheel and the tires actually move. [When correcting my position in a lane - like when I'm on the freeway] Are there things to look for that might be causing that? Just so you know my LS had new PS pump put in not too long ago and it's fine. [apparently] I'm thinking more along the lines of a weak bushing or ?????

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Craig, have you replaced the tie rods yet? I know what you're feeling, it's like a delay, or a sponginess in the steering. Do you get some wandering on the highway, especially when you're in traffic and the air flow from all the cars is pushing you around? My steering pump and such is fine, and I have new outer tie rod ends, but I still get this feeling. I'm thinking it's the inner tie rods, and or wheel bearings.

Question:

Does anyone have a picture of an actual old inner tie rod they've replaced? I'm curious what they look like on the rack connection side?

Craig, I'm beginning to think we bought our cars from the same previous owner. I think you and I are neck and neck for issues with our cars..

nc211...wouldnt worn lower ball joints also give the symptom of steering wander?

in my experience, typically not. ball joints can only wear so far before they fall apart and imo they can't wear enough to cause steering drift. although, worn ball joints are nothing to play about. if they are bad change them out asap. if one breaks, there goes the suspension on that side.

nc211...wouldnt worn lower ball joints also give the symptom of steering wander?

i would think so, but i have a little of the wandering too, and everything except for wheel bearings, inner tie rods, and rack on my car are new OEM stuff. I agree with Blake, I think it's slack in the connector points of the inner tie rods to the rack, giving the front wheels enought slack to bow outward when accelerating. However, my tires show no signs of premature wear. My rotors are warped though, so it could be the rotors causing a little drag on the warped spots, making the car pull around with each turn of the rotor.

my front end gives a little shimmy on occassion, but i've ruled out the brakes since i've recently overhauled the entire system. i've also done a lot of work on my ps system, swapped out the rack, pressure hose and pump. didnt replace the outer tie rods yet, and i notice that my car pulls slightly to either side, depending on her mood i guess.

the inner tie rods (factory manual calls them rack ends) are ball joints also, fair to say that they experience normal wear & tear also, cant expect the outer rod ends to do all the suffering.

Hi nc211!! :)

I hope you're feeling GREAT!!

Thanks for the response. I asked the dealer to check the 'inner tie rods'. But I might email him to remind him. The front wheel bearings have already been replaced and so have the lower ball joints AND power steering pump. It often feels as though I'm driving through a big wind storm. To be honest with you - if the service wasn't so great AND I didn't get free courtesy cars - I'd probably get rid of my LS. Next month will be 3 years since I bought it and I'm STILL waiting for it to perform as it should. Oh well.... La De Da. lol

Maybe we DID buy our cars from the same owner.

Craig!! :)