Broken Gas Meter...

SanDiegoLS400

Maybe it's a stuck floater in your tank but I really doubt it? This may sound stupid but whack your tank a few times with the side of your fist.

It actually sounds like a dead sending unit. If it's like my truck (F150), the sending unit and the fuel pump are a all-in-one unit in the tank. When my readings first starting going whacky on my fuel gauge, the fuel pump died about 3 months later. Actually both of my fuel pumps (both tanks, front and back) went out about the same time. Weird...

Many 4in cars use two senders. One for the top of the tank, another for the bottom. My freinds Mazda's gas gauge only works when it is below 1/2 a tank, the rest of the time it reads dead empty. The sender itself is... you guessed it, in the gas tank. Hint, run the gas really low on gas (almost out) before dropping the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to talk with Jim Walker who is in the forum. From what I understand, this is a common problem with the instrument cluster where there is too much voltage coming into the dash and over time it wears out the PS and it may need to be replaced. This is just a guess, but I would at least chat with him about it.