Gas Type For Gx470

TM8000

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried 93 octane in a GX470? It's not available direct from pump in California, but one can blend 100 octane racing fuel with 91 to get 93.

Using a gasoline with a higher octane rating than your engine requires gives you no benefit at all...none. The only benefit is to the gas station you buy it from. NO GX would gain any benefit from using anything higher than 91 octane. Those of us with pre 2005 models don't really even gain anything from using higher than 87 octane.

Has anyone tried 93 octane in a GX470? It's not available direct from pump in California, but one can blend 100 octane racing fuel with 91 to get 93.

Using a gasoline with a higher octane rating than your engine requires gives you no benefit at all...none. The only benefit is to the gas station you buy it from. NO GX would gain any benefit from using anything higher than 91 octane. Those of us with pre 2005 models don't really even gain anything from using higher than 87 octane.

ding ding!

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up my 2008 GX470 about 230 miles ago :D

I was told by the dealer to put atleast 91 in for optimal performance. I have been using super 93 since 91 is difficult to find in the North East. Oil is at $109 a barrell.... SWEEEEEEEEEEET!

I have just purchased certified pre-owned 2003 GX470(51,000mi).

It seems to be in a good condition so far except "Clunk". I have brought it to the

dealership but I have to wait for a few weeks since the updated drive shaft isn't

available in stock. Anyway I believe that this new drive shaft will solve the clunk

problem.

Meanwhile, I would like to know if regular gas(87) is good for this vehicle or not.

Sales person of the dealership said that I should put premium gas for better gas

mileage but I doubt it. Please kindly let me know what risk or problem I might

have if I use regular(87) gas instead of premium(91 or 93).

Thank you for your advice.

For VVTI engines, it is not recomended that you use 87 Octane for possible knocking. (05-up) For those that have Non-VVTI engines 87 is fine. (03-04). For any engine type, I would suggest using a gas additive just to keep valves clean.

It seems to be in a good condition so far except "Clunk". I have brought it to the

dealership but I have to wait for a few weeks since the updated drive shaft isn't

available in stock. Anyway I believe that this new drive shaft will solve the clunk

problem.

Meanwhile, I would like to know if regular gas(87) is good for this vehicle or not.

Sales person of the dealership said that I should put premium gas for better gas

For VVTI engines, it is not recomended that you use 87 Octane for possible knocking. (05-up) For those that have Non-VVTI engines 87 is fine. (03-04). For any engine type, I would suggest using a gas additive just to keep valves clean.

What brand name additive are you using?

Toyota 4 runner V8 has the same VVTI engines and it recommands 87 octane.

Yes. the 4Runner has a VVTi V8 & V6 engine, but only requires 87 for both (G Man, it recommends 91) ;)

• 3 months later...

problem.

The CLUNK is from trapped air in the driveshaft. When braking occurs the rear-end twists a bit extending the driveshaft. When you finally stop, the rear-end is cocked and ready to unload and force the driveshaft back together. When it finally overcomes the air trapped in the driveshaft it lets go with a pop! My 05 GX470 was dealer repaired including the new driveshaft as well as sturdier rear lower controlarms (to lessen the rear-end flex). No problems since. A local mechanic had his own fix for his wifes GX. He drilled a pinhole in the driveshaft to let the air escape thus fixxing his "clunk".