Gas Type For Gx470

TM8000

I have just purchased certified pre-owned 2003 GX470(51,000mi).

It seems to be in a good condition so far except "Clunk". I have brought it to the

dealership but I have to wait for a few weeks since the updated drive shaft isn't

available in stock. Anyway I believe that this new drive shaft will solve the clunk

problem.

Meanwhile, I would like to know if regular gas(87) is good for this vehicle or not.

Sales person of the dealership said that I should put premium gas for better gas

mileage but I doubt it. Please kindly let me know what risk or problem I might

have if I use regular(87) gas instead of premium(91 or 93).

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for your comment!

The manual says:-

"Select Octane Rating 87(Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

For Improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded

gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91(Reserch Octane Number 96)

or higher is recommended."

Could someone tell me what "Research Octane Number" is?

There are possible selection of 87, 91 or 93 here in GA. Can I then

use Regular(87), or Super(91)?

Thank you for your comment!

The manual says:-

"Select Octane Rating 87(Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

For Improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded

gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91(Reserch Octane Number 96)

or higher is recommended."

Could someone tell me what "Research Octane Number" is?

There are possible selection of 87, 91 or 93 here in GA. Can I then

use Regular(87), or Super(91)?

Well if the manual says to use 87 or higher...then I would use 87...That is the same thing that the RX says and it is just fine to use regular (87) in it. I don't think you will notice much between 87 and 91 in a GX or even a RX...and I am sure if it would harm the engine they would not tell you that you could use it.

By the way not sure if you tried to search but there are quite a few gas topics at least for the RX anyway...

:D good luck! Post a PIC of your GX...my boss has a 06...nice!

Have to say I'm no expert. I have a '05 with 13K. I'm not an aggressive driver. I've used both 87 and 91. Alternating about 3-4 weeks. Maybe I notice better acceleration with 91 but I don't notice any significant difference in milage. If anything, less with 91. Could that really be? If so, is better performance at the expense of less milage? I now consistently use 87 (Sam's) and average 17.5 m/g (that's the actuall average not what is recorded on the car computer which I find is consistenly 1.5 m/g higher.). That's mixed 50/50 city/highway.

Thank you for your comment about your experience of gas mileage!

Yes. I am not an expert too, but I learnt the gas mileage is rather

depending on how you drive. What kind of performance can I expect

if I spent more and put 91 or even 93....? Accelearation is getting smoother?

Anyway, I thank you all guys' kind advice which is very helpful indeed.

I have 04 GX and have been using 87 since the day I'd bought it - never noticed any "pings" in the engine and am very pleased with acceleration. Would not go any higher unless otherwise specified in the manual.

Only the 05s and newer have the VVT-i engine which MAY require premium. I know my 4Runner doesn't require premium but had a little engine ping ONCE so far in it's 3,000 miles it's been with me. I still continued using 87 and it never came back. It was very strange. <_< :wacko: :)

On the 06, the gas cap saids 91 octance require, on the 05, the manual saids 91 octane recommanded. They both have the same engine, dont know why Lexus change the premium fuel requirement. 03 and 04, the engine is different, the compression ratio is lower, so you can difinitely use 87 octane.

I also have try both 87 and 93 for a few tank at a time. The 93 does make a difference performance wise. Barely noticable during everyday driving and at low rpm, but difinitely noticable at higher rpms. Gas mileage wise, on the computer, it show about a 0.5 mpg difference.

The G Man, your kind and clear answer gives me a confidence to

continue using 87 for my 2003 GX470. Thank you very much indeed!!

[/quote

I think 87 octane is just fine for daily (not performance) driving. I tow two horses and their trailer twice a week, and 91 octane gives me subjectively better performance. But, with 87 and 91 octane being separated by 26 cents per gallon in my town, I'll stick with the 87.

Hi. Reggie,

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely use 87 for my 2003 GX470

since my wife is primarily driving this vehicle with absolutely normal

ride almost at the legal speed.... By the way, dearler advised me that

I should not purchase a gas from discount station like Racetrac, Kroger etc...but I do not believe that the quality is so much different among

stations.

some gasoline brands may put higher levels of detergent agents in their fuels that could help your injectors stay clean, but the gas itsellf is a commodity that is the same. I run a bottle of injector cleaner through mine every 6 months or so just to avoid any troubles.

I have an 04, without the VVT, and 87 octane gasoline works just fine for me. I tried 91 and 93 octane and noticed no difference whatsoever in milage or performance. Maybe if I was going to be towing a substantial trailer I'd go for the premium, but for my normal driving, it is not of benefit.

I have an 03 GX470 and have tried all 3 levels of gas (87,89,91)

-87 actually made my vehicle sluggish at take off.

-89 felt right with take off and performance on the highway

-91 didn't make enought difference for me to continue to pay the big difference.

So, I decided to stick with 89 (mid-grade) and I have been very happy with the performance of my vehicle overall.

Good Luck and get that clunk taken care of ASAP....all the dealers should have the part in stock now....

Kim

Thank you so much for your comment, kimber33!

This is also a good reference and I will try to test 89 myself

to see the difference. Upcharge of $0.10/gallon isn't bad

if I can expect a better ride, is it?

Meanwhile, I am really concerned with the information

about a cancellation of TSB for "clunk". The dealer keep

telling me that updated driveshaft is very long back order

and they do not know how many more months I have to

wait for the clunk of my GX470 to be permanently fixed.

I checked with the other Lexus dealership around Atlanta

but they also said the same. They said that all I can do

is to just wait as long as my name has been on the waiting

list.

Not sure if you have actually went in to the dealer to complain about the vibration of the vehicle or not...if you haven't then you should...just actually make an appt to complaint about how bad the vibration is when you are stopping and they should put you fix it for you right away....Many people are on the waiting list to get the clunk fixed because they aren't having major problem...So make yours a major problem and you will go to the front of the list...not just a stand by.

Good Luck

Kim

• 1 year later...
Has anyone tried 93 octane in a GX470? It's not available direct from pump in California, but one can blend 100 octane racing fuel with 91 to get 93.

I used 93 octane fuel when I lived back east in my 07 GX and now use 91 octane fuel out here and I notice no difference whatsoever. As long as its labeled Premium Unleaded, there should be no difference in performance.