Is 350 Locked And Couldn't Get In

Took my new IS 350 to get waxed and washed, left the remote in the car so they could start the car. They ran it through the car wash with the with the motor off and in neutral. Car finished washing and they were going to start the car to get it off of the line, but somehow locked the doors?? Tried to open the door by pressing the lock button on the outside (could see the remote inside on the center console) but didn't work.

Called the wife to come with the second key, and guess what, the second remote wouldn't open the doors!!! I finally called the Lexus salesmans that sold me the IS, and he told me to take the key and pop the cover off of the door handle. Found it and then opened the car manually.

Now, I thought that it was impossible to lock the key in the car?? Why didn't the second remote open the doors?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

It should not be possible to lock the key inside the car...

The only way this could happen is if the car wash guy accidentally hit the smart key disable button when he was cleaning. Even then the doors should have unlocked with a push of the unlock button on the other key.

Thats bizarre.

The only way this could happen is if the car wash guy accidentally hit the smart key disable button when he was cleaning. Even then the doors should have unlocked with a push of the unlock button on the other key.

Thats bizarre.

What/where is the "smart key disable button", please?

Thats bizarre.

What/where is the "smart key disable button", please?

The only button I know of is the one inside the glove box at the left front side of the box. It disables the trunk remote unlock for valet parking. You activate that button, lock the glove box with the steel key, and take the steel key with you when you leave the car to be parked. The valet can start and drive the car with the smart key, but cannot unlock the glove box or the trunk.

Thats bizarre.

What I find bizarre is if I've already got a key in the car, and the other key outside of the car, and lock the car, and it locks. I guess the outside key overrides the key on the inside???

I always make sure now when I go to a carwash to take the steel key out of the key fob before they take off with my car.......

You can lock it with a key in the car, but only if you use a second FOB and press the FOB button (not the button on the handle).

My wife likes to leave her purse in the car, and she has a keyFob in it. When she leaves her purse, if I try to lock it with the handle button, it beeps at me wildly and refuses to lock. if I press the button on my FOB however, it does lock (and beeps as if its *BLEEP*ed). To unlock it, I MUST use my FOB button, the door handle wont work.

Its pretty smart actually, my wife can leave her key in the car accidentally, and it wont let you lock it unless you press a second FOB. That means that you indeed do have a second FOB to use, so the car goes ahead and locks. But to prevent burglars from opening the door at will, it disables the handle buttons.

When we go to the gym, she takes her purse every time.