this is the es 300 forums

they do not have a differntial that is external

as it has always been a front wheel drive platform

also no diff fluid to change since the one it has is housed i the tranny itself

did you mean to post in the

IS 300

or

RX 300

Are you sure you do not need to change the differential fluid for the ES300 SKPerformance? I have a 1993 ES300.

I had my diff. fluid changed at Jiffy Lube. It was located in the Front Drive assembly separate from the transmission fluid pan.

do yo have the right section

this is the es 300 forums

they do not have a differntial that is external

as it has always been a front wheel drive platform

also no diff fluid to change since the one it has is housed i the tranny itself

did you mean to post in the IS 300 or RX 300

The automatic transaxle and the differential are separate units! ;)

I have a Haynes manual thats kinda generic so I don't know how trustworthy it is, but according to the manual, ALL you guys are right. Looks like 97 and prior there is seperate differental fluid drain and fills. '98 and after looks like same cavity, so you can drain and fill the ATF and it should cover it. Haven't crawled under to see if there is a separate differential drain and fill in my 98, but the manual implies that there is. Haynes manual says that the ATF and differential fluid type for a 1998 es300 are both Dexron II/III type ATF. In the Lexus supplemental manual of the 98, it states to replace "differential and transmission" fluids at those 30k intervals.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

someone please straighten this out for me. Looks like 1997 and prior, there is a seperate drain AND fill for the differential fluid.

in the 1998 ( I think that MCV20 has a 1998 as well) es300, the differential is drained seperately but filled the same as the tranny (both use Dextron III or II) for the 98.

In 1999 and after, the differential is drained and filled the same, as the ATF tranny (I also believe that is when they also switched over to toyota type IV).

MCV20, if you have switched out the differential for our year (es300 - 1998), do you mind if I PM you on some specific questions that I have?

Sorry guys :unsure: The Chiltons manual only covers back to 1997 so I'm not sure about those years. These non-factory manuals are decent, but since they cover a wide range of years (and in my case covers the Camry and Lex), I would use them as a general guide. Some posters have highly recommended the Lexus factory service manual and I am trying to track that down. Good luck and if you guys find the information out for those years, PLEASE post the info for our inquirying minds

I have a 1993 and the differential and A/T are separate units. Both are hosed in the front wheel drive assembly. The A/T is easy because you see the flat black rectangular A/T pan and drain plug. A/T is filled thru the A/T dipstick.

The differantial is harder to find because it is not clearly marked or separated from the drive assembly. If you look at the drive assembly from the back to the font, you can see a vertical plug facing the rear of vehicle on the drive assembly. Fluid is drained and filled thru that plug. The diff plug is semi-flat silverish color (clean) about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter.

Try the Toyota Camry Haynes manual for the ES300 from 92-96. They have the same engine.

:blink:

I am still very confused ...Maybe i am just having a blonde moment..Do I need to worry about the dif. or the fluid in it?Does it have anything to do with the changing of gears in the transmission it self? I always thought manual transmissions has dif. :blink:

• 15 years later...
On 8/30/2003 at 2:36 AM, todd332 said:

I am still very confused ...Maybe i am just having a blonde moment..Do I need to worry about the dif. or the fluid in it?Does it have anything to do with the changing of gears in the transmission it self? I always thought manual transmissions has dif. :blink:

All modern non-electric cars have a differential. It allows the driving wheels to be powered, but rotate at different speeds. Operative word: DIFFERENT(ial).  Rear wheel cars have the diff in the real axle area. Front wheel cars usually have them integrated with the transmission. Four wheel drive and hybrid cars can have several differentials.