2007 Is250 Xm Radio Question

hnb

I have a 2007 IS250 on order for my daughter and plan to have XM radio installed by the dealer. I know the 2007 now has the "shark-fin" antenna. On the 2007, will this be for the XM along with the navigation or will there be a separate antenna for the XM? If there is a separate antenna, where would I expect the dealer to install it? Thanks for any input.

I have a 2007 IS250 on order for my daughter and plan to have XM radio installed by the dealer. I know the 2007 now has the "shark-fin" antenna. On the 2007, will this be for the XM along with the navigation or will there be a separate antenna for the XM? If there is a separate antenna, where would I expect the dealer to install it? Thanks for any input.

My understanding is that the NAV system has not changed at all, and the antenna is still not exposed.

The shark fin antenna is for the sat radio, as EVERYONE was complaining about the after-market antenna being installed with the sat option.

My understanding is that the NAV system has not changed at all, and the antenna is still not exposed.

The shark fin antenna is for the sat radio, as EVERYONE was complaining about the after-market antenna being installed with the sat option.

where is the nav antenna, anyway?

I just purchased the 2007 IS250 AWD and the Nav is in the dash. The Fin is for the AM/FM only and they install a remote sensor on the truck of the car for XM. I don't like that the XM wires to the antenna are exposed as some crazy kid could cut the wire to the external trunk mounted antenna. The Lexus dealer said they no longer mount the antenna inside the back window due to poor reception.

I hope the helps with my experience.

Steve

After my first question about the "shark-fin" antenna, I continued to look around. I did a search and found several hits that did say that the S-F antenna will be for XM satellite radio. On the Lexus site under Press releases, http://www.lexus.com/about/press_releases/index.html there is a note for the GS that indicates that the new S-F antenna was for satellite radio and it says that the IS will also get this antenna. I called Lexus and they confirmed that the S-F antenna on the IS is for satellite radio. There shouldn't be a need to add the crappy looking after-market antenna on the trunk. You may want to conatact your dealer and ask them about this. I bet the IS is now pre-wired for the antenna and it terminates close to where the XM box goes and just plugs in to the box. If you get any better answers, let us know.

...I bet the IS is now pre-wired for the antenna and it terminates close to where the XM box goes and just plugs in to the box. If you get any better answers, let us know.

I was digging around on the technical website and found the installation instructions for the XM tuner. The S-F antenna does indeed terminate near where the tuner is installed in the right-side portion of the trunk.

...I bet the IS is now pre-wired for the antenna and it terminates close to where the XM box goes and just plugs in to the box. If you get any better answers, let us know.

I was digging around on the technical website and found the installation instructions for the XM tuner. The S-F antenna does indeed terminate near where the tuner is installed in the right-side portion of the trunk.

warhummer1, do you have a .pdf of the sat radio instructions, or at least the page that shows the S-F antenna and where it terminates? I sure would appreciate the info. By the way, is the tech wesite available for all? Thanks

hnb,

Yes, I have a pdf of it. The tech site website address is: http://techinfo.toyota.com/index.html

Pricing starts at $10 and buys you 24 hrs of access and unlimited downloads. Unfortunately, there's no "download all" button to get the whole tech manual so you have to sift through what you need. You can email me at warhummer@comcast.net to get the pdf or dig around on the tech website.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys...I just got a 2007 is350 and am wanting to get the XM radio module. Apparently mine is pre-wired for XM. Where can I get the parts to do this? I think the dealership is trying to charge a ton for labor when it sounds like it just plugs in the trunk.

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys...I just got a 2007 is350 and am wanting to get the XM radio module. Apparently mine is pre-wired for XM. Where can I get the parts to do this? I think the dealership is trying to charge a ton for labor when it sounds like it just plugs in the trunk.

Thanks for the help!

If you order the XM radio from Lexus, all you have to do is read the instructions...and yes the labor charge is a bit excessive for anyone with some time to spare and the ability to read.. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help!

If you order the XM radio from Lexus, all you have to do is read the instructions...and yes the labor charge is a bit excessive for anyone with some time to spare and the ability to read.. B)

I'm new to this forum, found it looking for information about installing the XM TUNER in my 07 IS250. This file may be helpful to anyone looking for the same information. It contains part numbers and detailed instructions for installation. I will look for the parts online and make the installation myself within a few weeks. I'll post again after I install.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/IS_XM.pdf

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help!

I'm new to this forum, found it looking for information about installing the XM TUNER in my 07 IS250. This file may be helpful to anyone looking for the same information. It contains part numbers and detailed instructions for installation. I will look for the parts online and make the installation myself within a few weeks. I'll post again after I install.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/IS_XM.pdf

Hope it helps.

The instructions, if I'm reading them correctly, say to connect the satellite tuner to a (supplied) external antenna. I would be interested to see if the satellite radio can connect to the car's existing shark fin antenna, which supposedly is pre-wired for satellite. I've checked both the XM and Sirius instructions and haven't found any information about how to connect to the shark fin. If anyone has done a satellite install and was able to make this connection, please post and let me know how to do it. Thanks.

There is no exposed Nav antenna. the dealer told me that all IS's are coming with the Sat antenna pre-installed. I was a little annoyed about that.

• 4 weeks later...

OK.. I bought an 07 IS250 from JM LEXUS in Florida in January. It came prewired for XM. The car does NOT have Navigation. The car has a "Shark Fin" on it's roof. I reciently purchased and installed the OEM XM tuner and fit kit and the shark fin IS FOR XM RADIO! There is a wire I found during the installation that connects to the XM tuner. It is the antenna wire. It hangs from the metal framework behind the passenger side trunk liner. It was wraped in some soft foam tape and a tie wrap. The antenna connector and harnesses will NOT work with a Sirius tuner. The installation was quite simple and went without a hitch. Took me 45 minutes start to finish. Radio works perfectly and it is exactly how the owners manual describes the function of the sat function. I feel like it was a great investment at $280.00 plus 45 minutes. Dealer wanter $980.00 to do it. Said it would take 3 hours. Guess the listen to nice music for 2 hours and 15 minutes on my dime :)

I'd like to try to clarify this a little. You will have to purchase the OEM XM reciever from a Lexus/Toyota dealer. Hence the OEM part. The XM recievers that are readily avaliable at Circut City and Brands Mart will NOT connect to your built in antenna, nor will they interface with your factory radio. Even some dealers it seems are installing lower cost XM recievers that require mounting an external antenna on your windshield next to your rear view mirror. Wires are run under the lip of your headliner. Worst about the non-OEM XM recievers is that you will have to have an external tuner, that is to say that you will have to have a small display head mounted on your console somewhere.

Please feel free to ask me any questions in PM

OK.. I bought an 07 IS250 from JM LEXUS in Florida in January. It came prewired for XM. The car does NOT have Navigation. The car has a "Shark Fin" on it's roof. I reciently purchased and installed the OEM XM tuner and fit kit and the shark fin IS FOR XM RADIO! There is a wire I found during the installation that connects to the XM tuner. It is the antenna wire. It hangs from the metal framework behind the passenger side trunk liner. It was wraped in some soft foam tape and a tie wrap. The antenna connector and harnesses will NOT work with a Sirius tuner. The installation was quite simple and went without a hitch. Took me 45 minutes start to finish. Radio works perfectly and it is exactly how the owners manual describes the function of the sat function. I feel like it was a great investment at $280.00 plus 45 minutes. Dealer wanter $980.00 to do it. Said it would take 3 hours. Guess the listen to nice music for 2 hours and 15 minutes on my dime :)

I wish the shark fin antenna would connect with the Sirius tuner. It's my understanding that XM and Sirius antennas are functionally compatible, as far as reception is concerned. I don't know why Lexus chose a Sirius tuner with an incompatible antenna connector. The Sirius antenna mounts on the inside front windshield, next to the rear view mirror. I've noticed significantly more signal dropouts than with the outside antenna that I had in my RX (an aftermarket unit). Hopefully, if enough people complain about reception Lexus will manufacture some sort of adapter to connect with the shark fin...