2008 Lexus Is 500

Pretty nice video and information, if a bit on the sparse side. Looks darn cool with those bigger wheels and cross-drilled rotors. Of course that's assuming they don't actually release it with those ridiculous gold-colored wheels.

Pretty nice video and information, if a bit on the sparse side. Looks darn cool with those bigger wheels and cross-drilled rotors. Of course that's assuming they don't actually release it with those ridiculous gold-colored wheels.

I hope I hate it, when it arrive$.

I hope I hate it, when it arrive$.

I hope its not a V8.. unless it has nearly 500hp.. didnt lexus say the current V6 in the 350 could produce over 400 without a turbo?

also I couldnt see the IS500 costing over $50k fully loaded... the 350 is only $4000 more then the 250... so what would make the 500 nearly $15k more the the 350 like I've have read on the net all over the place?

I can see it costing more the the entry level GS... but not more then the top of the line GS....

but i'm wrong all the time... B)

there is a lot of speculation about the IS500. It sparked my interest after watching that video two weeks ago and i did some research.

Many people think that lexus is going to put the 4.6 liter v8 into the car to produce god knows how much horsepower. Many people also think that they will put the 5.0 liter v8 (from the Hybrid LS) into the IS to produce god knows how much horsepower.

problem: Lexus has always been scorned for being "souless" machines that dont have that drive factor. How well do you think a light sedan with a heavy front engine is going to corner? not very well. I dont know what they are going to do, but handling is very important in this segment, not just horsepower and torque.

there is a lot of speculation about the IS500. It sparked my interest after watching that video two weeks ago and i did some research.

Many people think that lexus is going to put the 4.6 liter v8 into the car to produce god knows how much horsepower. Many people also think that they will put the 5.0 liter v8 (from the Hybrid LS) into the IS to produce god knows how much horsepower.

problem: Lexus has always been scorned for being "souless" machines that dont have that drive factor. How well do you think a light sedan with a heavy front engine is going to corner? not very well. I dont know what they are going to do, but handling is very important in this segment, not just horsepower and torque.

Agree agree.... (insider's info here) The IS 500 is a sure deal, it is still in early development stage. Engine is 5.0L V8, the same engine shared with LS 600h. Transmission is "borrowed" from LS 460's 8-speed. I think it is very dumb to make it a 8 speed just because they want to beat MB... trans is so busy shifting.... anyway, horsepower is about 380~400hp.

I am lucky enough to drive it around the block, the engine is loud, I mean, it is loud. Due to the two stage intake manifold, engine roared even louder after 4000rpm and the car will lauch like a space shuttle no matter if you are ready or not. I think it is too much power for such a small car in my opinion.

Very disappointed that the dimension remain the same... I was hope it should be wide body but it wasn't. Brakes are also beefed up front: >14" cross drilled rotor with 6 piston Brembo and 4 piston on the rear. The front bumper will have more holes and opening for cooling. Front fender will have RX-8 style fender treatment with "fake" side grill. Other difference is the "stacked" quad exhaust outlet.... it looks weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on a manual transmission, yet? Hasn't Lexus heard enough gripe about only offering an automatic?!!!

- GM

I know! They should make a 8-speed manual, not auto...! I think they still want to test it out. I have a feeling that once the LF-S supercar is out, Lexus/Toyota will be more aggressive on performance.

its hard to say...i think it will be manual...they are slowly getting hints, especially with the VDIM off switch, lol

It would be practically impossible to have an 8 speed manual, lol no room on the center stack, or just really no room for a drink holder.

it will probably be a 7 speed at the most....