Buying A 1999 Lexus

tfields

i am looking at purchasing a 1999 LX470. it is a one owner and has 122,000 miles on it. Are there certain things i should look for. Are there certain questions i should ask, especially maintenance questions. Can anyone give me any information on this? what kind of repair experience should I expect from the car for the next 100,000 miles.

i am looking at purchasing a 1999 LX470. it is a one owner and has 122,000 miles on it. Are there certain things i should look for. Are there certain questions i should ask, especially maintenance questions. Can anyone give me any information on this? what kind of repair expereince should i expect from the car for the next 100,000 miles.

Your post might be better served in the LX forum. B) Welcome to the club btw.

:cheers:

Make sure the timing belt was done at 90K mi. Was the water pump also done? It's usually due around 120K, but many people do it at 90K since it's about the same amount of work. Was the 120K service done?

Spark plugs should be done at 120K mi, too (iridium plugs).

Other than that, common problems are a "ticking" sound when engine is cold (exhaust manifold is cracked, like $1500 to replace each side), starter contacts go bad @ 80-100K mi typically (need to pull the intake manifold to access the starter). I would go with a 2000 or newer since in 2000, the front diff was changed from the weaker 2-pinion to a stronger 4-pinion design. In either 2000 or 2001, ATRAC became standard.

• 2 weeks later...

The vehicle should have the maintenance schedule booklet in it to show you what should be done at different mileages. Find out if the owner has maintenance records. Get the VIN and go to any Lexus dealer and have them pull a record of all work done (at Lexus dealerships). A well maintained LX is of greater value than the average one.

If the choice is available, I would pick a 2000 or newer for reasons Jim Chow mentioned, plus there are some other nice features added that you don't really notice until you start using the vehicle. I favor 2001 (Levinson audio system option added). In 2002 the NAV became standard for those who like it. In 2003 the 5 speed trans was added along with newer styling.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I think my truck in having the starter problem you mentioned. It happens on from time to time and I have managed to get it started with a few key turns. THey need to remove the intake to replace a starter?? why, and what can I expect to pay for the service please. Thanks!! (2000 w/75k)

• 7 months later...