Help! Is Or Gs? Which One Will You Choose?

I am currently at the cross road of deciding rather I should get a GS or IS. Since GS has been upgraded to 350, horsepower is ALMOST the same as the IS. Price is not an issue to me, but I do love the standard features that are offered by the GS such as power telescopic steering column, memory seats, power folding mirrors... etc. But for the look and handling, I go for the IS of course. One major hold back for me to get the IS is interior space. I am at my early 30s, might/ might not have kids in the future, I like the generous space that GS offers for the rear passengers.

Had everyone been considering the GS before you chose the IS? Please advise.

well no i have never considered a GS. But i will say that the IS300 i own will not be enough for you if you decide to have kids, well it depends how old these kids are gonna get in that car. For safety issues, i would go with the bigger car, just because it stands more of a chance against a large car. And whose to say the Gs isnt sporty (unless you are one of those people who believe the biased car mags). its sporty enough and will give you the appropriate space. Id get the GS.

So many people here could afford the GS and bought the IS.

I have an IS350 and I would never get the GS because it doesnt have the sporty look and never will.

If you do not have kids or won't have kids soon I would recommend the IS.

I have people with GS that tell me they want to trade in for the IS.

I think I would buy a GS or anything at that size when I will be in my 50's.

As far as kids, I will get an SUV for my wife and enjoy this little beast.

I traded a bigger luxury sadan for this and I think it is the best thing I have ever done.

I felt like I don't need all the space and the outside size of it.

I love the size of the car and the way it is so quick.

well no i have never considered a GS. But i will say that the IS300 i own will not be enough for you if you decide to have kids, well it depends how old these kids are gonna get in that car. For safety issues, i would go with the bigger car, just because it stands more of a chance against a large car. And whose to say the Gs isnt sporty (unless you are one of those people who believe the biased car mags). its sporty enough and will give you the appropriate space. Id get the GS.

Thanks for your different perspective. Your theory really make sense for the kids safety. I agree that the GS is quite sporty, but compare to the IS, it give your more luxury than performance.

So many people here could afford the GS and bought the IS.

I have an IS350 and I would never get the GS because it doesnt have the sporty look and never will.

If you do not have kids or won't have kids soon I would recommend the IS.

I have people with GS that tell me they want to trade in for the IS.

I think I would buy a GS or anything at that size when I will be in my 50's.

As far as kids, I will get an SUV for my wife and enjoy this little beast.

I traded a bigger luxury sadan for this and I think it is the best thing I have ever done.

I felt like I don't need all the space and the outside size of it.

I love the size of the car and the way it is so quick.

Hm... I see I see. It makes a lot of sense. What luxury sedan did you trade for?

One thing to consider. If you plan on keeping the car for 15 years get the GS. If you do happen to have kids, they are not going to be old enough for at least 4-5 years before they start kicking the back of your seats, until then, they will fit fine in the back seat. And that is IF you were to have kids right now. So the IS would be perfect for you until your kids were OLD ENOUGH to not fit in there. You can get those options for the IS just have to pay for them, that is why the GS is more expensive. I would kind of rule kids out unless you plan on havin them tomorrow or adopting a 7 yr old soon. The IS really does invoke more Awe factor when you drive it and see it in person. Go look at both of them drive them both, and only compare the GS to the 350. Good luck, let us know what you think.

I was sold on an IS350 because I like the look of the car and the speed vs the GS. I ultimately chose a GS430, at least in part, because of the extra leg room in the GS back seat for my six year old son. The IS is quite cramped in back, and also feels bumpier than the GS even though the suspension is almost exactly made up of same parts. Also, if you have a baby seat in your IS, you are going to have a pretty hard time with almost no room to spare (from what my friend who has a baby seat in there told me).

IS has a better overall appearance and instruments compared to the GS, but the GS with black wood and gray interior looks extremely classy, more than the IS. Also, with right color, window tint, wheels on the GS, it definitely gets a lot of attention.

Furthermore, GS430 is so much more rare that you almost never see one. Here in Dallas, I am noticing new IS's all day every day almost wherever I go, so if you want to be the only one with that car, you may not be for very long.

IS certainly gets a heck of a lot better gas mileage than my GS430 has during my first tank of gas!

The GS450h is better on gas and has more power.

I don't know anyone who would trade a new GS for a new IS so that would just be your end of the things caraveli.

You want fast then the GS is it unless you wait for the IS500.

I passed on the new GS when it came out and waited till October for the IS to come out. I bought the IS.

I never did conside the GS because it's not an old people's car, just an oldER person's car. If your in your forties and fifties and HAVE children then the GS might be better for the leg room and what not. HOWEVER, since you do not have kids I would DEFINITLY go for the IS 350. It's looks, speed, handeling, and every other aspect of the vehicle is absoloutly great. I would not choose anything over the IS 350. I would get the IS and if you do have children then you may consider switching....BUT for now enjoy the IS :D

Good luck with your decision :cheers:

I drove all the models: GS 430, GS 300, GS 350, IS 250 & IS 350... I would like to day although the GS and the IS are built on the same platform, the IS handling is very very different from the GSs. I guess I need to spend more time on the IS 350 since I only drove it for a short distance.

I would like to know, how many of you guys get the basic IS 350? And how many of you get the packages?

I drove all the models: GS 430, GS 300, GS 350, IS 250 & IS 350... I would like to day although the GS and the IS are built on the same platform, the IS handling is very very different from the GSs. I guess I need to spend more time on the IS 350 since I only drove it for a short distance.

I would like to know, how many of you guys get the basic IS 350? And how many of you get the packages?

I didn't get an IS350, but I would definitely get the package that includes the NAV. That gen 5 Nav is the biggest thing between my GS and the IS that bothers me. It is so much better.

The only option I got was 18" wheels. That's about all that was available in my area at the model introduction. Right after the break-in period I did a 600 mile trip to Ohio and back and the car was quite comfortable. In fact, I think I was less tired from driving the IS350 than any other car I've driven in the last 10 or so years.

Had it been available I would have got a package with nav and HID, but since I wanted to be first on the block to have a new IS, I settled for what was available.

The only option I got was 18" wheels. That's about all that was available in my area at the model introduction. Right after the break-in period I did a 600 mile trip to Ohio and back and the car was quite comfortable. In fact, I think I was less tired from driving the IS350 than any other car I've driven in the last 10 or so years.

Had it been available I would have got a package with nav and HID, but since I wanted to be first on the block to have a new IS, I settled for what was available.

Oh Great! I thought all 350 owners opt for fully loaded... too bad that lot of the options are not available individually, otherwise it will make the IS very competitive... I would opt for the NAVI, HID and 18". I think they should split up the options like the GS.

Oh Great! I thought all 350 owners opt for fully loaded... too bad that lot of the options are not available individually, otherwise it will make the IS very competitive... I would opt for the NAVI, HID and 18". I think they should split up the options like the GS.

I have the IS250, and it came with the premium package and 18" wheels. Of course, if I ever get the 350, I'd want that spoiler package.....yeah, baby!!!!

Ok guys, I made up my mind today. I drove the IS 350 today about 20 miles... I L O V E I T ! ! !

Althought that IS is equipped with sport package, suspension is a little bit stiff but I can still live with it, I think the normal setting should be pretty civilized. Power and torque are awesome! I think the best thing is the interior. I tried to "love" the interior of the GS, but the dash is positioned very high in the center and part of the hood is visible when I was driving. In contrast, the IS dash is small and simple, visibility is excellent! Feels like the good old days where you can see the entire road ahead of you as a typical Japanese car. Steering wheel is another ++!! SO nice that they almost copy the BMW contour.

I guess I don't care about its compact size anymore, screw the space....! The car is so tight! I guess I should stick with it! One short-coming is the shift point and feel.... a bit rough compared to the previous Lexus drivetrain... I guess there is too much power and torque to handle somehow, also, the exhaust is too quiet, if you can tune it like the GS 430, that's perfect.... anyway, I might put Tanabe on mine when I get mine.

Thanks guys! Can't wait....

I have the IS250, and it came with the premium package and 18" wheels. Of course, if I ever get the 350, I'd want that spoiler package.....yeah, baby!!!!

I think for 2007 there are more options available separately or in smaller packages.

Just the HID AFS option and the X-package, that's it.

I think for 2007 there are more options available separately or in smaller packages.

Just the HID AFS option and the X-package, that's it.

That would be more, right?