1999 Rx300 Problem With Center Console Instrument Panel Lights

wrxsedan

I have a 1999 RX300 AWD and the instrument panel for the radio and center console doesn't light up. It use to automatically light up when the headlights turned on (both manually and automatically). I also noticed the center LCD display would dim slightly whenever the headlights turned on. It doesn't do this anymore. I checked all the fuses under the hood and behind the coin tray. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wrxsedan

Did you turn the interior illumination knob back up? It controls all interior bulbs levels on the dash hvac and radio.

Yes, I played with the interior illumination knob as well. My lights are function on the instrument gauges just not functional on the center panel where the radio/climate controls are.

Hello,

I'm a new member to the group and have the same problem with my 1999 Rx300. I tried replacing all 7.5 amp fuses, no luck so far. I have not gone to the dealer yet, is there a circuit diagram which will help me to identify the faulty cable (If any?).

I just bought mine (1999 RX300) 2 days ago. It also had the 7.5 amp fuse blown when I was looking to buy it. I replaced the fuse while test driving the vehicle. It has not blown again yet but I will keep a eye on it. I'm a mechanic (mostly electrical) and know that fuses don't blow just for the heck of it so I made sure to hold the dealer accountable in writing for 30 days up to $1000 in repairs for this particular problem if it happens again. I will let you know if the fuse blows again and what ends up being the cause. For those of you having the problem how long does the new fuse last before it blows again? Does it blow while your driving w/ the lights on only? Have you noticed anything that you have turned on that caused the fuse to blow?

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought mine (1999 RX300) 2 days ago. It also had the 7.5 amp fuse blown when I was looking to buy it. I replaced the fuse while test driving the vehicle. It has not blown again yet but I will keep a eye on it. I'm a mechanic (mostly electrical) and know that fuses don't blow just for the heck of it so I made sure to hold the dealer accountable in writing for 30 days up to $1000 in repairs for this particular problem if it happens again. I will let you know if the fuse blows again and what ends up being the cause. For those of you having the problem how long does the new fuse last before it blows again? Does it blow while your driving w/ the lights on only? Have you noticed anything that you have turned on that caused the fuse to blow?

The fuse blows intermittently.......but when it does blow it is when I turn the lights on.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you have an aftermarket alarm or starter?

I have a 2000 RX300. I have never had a problem with any of my lights or fuses until just now. I bought my RX300 about 9 months ago with an aftermarket remote start. Usually, when i use the remote start i press the start button, when i'm ready to get in i unlock, open the door, put the key in and turn it, brake, and shift. Yesterday, however, i started the car with the remote, unlocked and opened it, but instead of putting the key in like i normally do, i pressed the rear defog (to help melt the snow) shut the door, and continued to wipe the snow of my car. When i got in, i put the key in, stepped on the brake.... and the second i stepped on the brake, my radio and climate control lights went out. So i fussed around a little bit and figured out that when i start the vehicle with my key, no instrument lights.. (radio and climate control buttons, the LCD still works) doesn't matter if the headlights are on, off, or auto. HOWEVER, when i use my remote to start the vehicle, the lights all work normally... until.. i get in, insert and turn the key, and step on the brake. as soon as i step on the brake, the instrument lights go out. I am not very experienced with electrical i only know some basics.. but because the lights work with the remote start, this leads me to believe that it may not be the fuse.. and what stepping on the brake has to do with it i am clueless... also, the day before all this happened.. the flashing lights with lock and unlock feature on my aftermarket system stopped working.. could this be connected somehow? I have not tried to replace the fuse yet, but i will tonight. However any suggestions or opinions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: i checked the instrument panel fuse and it was blown.. i used the 7.5 amp spare from the engine compartment fuse box and it works again!

• 3 years later...

Hey I know this an old thread, but I having the same problem on my 1999 RX with my

Center console and radio Instrument panel lights. Replacing the 7.5 panel light fuse no longer works for me and I need help finding a wiring diagram so I can trace the short upstream from the fuse panel.

Thanks, Chet

• 5 years later...

Hello. Like most have said this is an old thread but I’m hoping to get an answer for the same problem with my 1999 Lexus rx300. The center dash lights were working for some time and then one day the 7.5 amp fuse blew. We replaced it and it was fine until we turn on the headlights. Every time we put a new fuse in it pops so something is shorting it but can’t seem to locate the problem. Took everything in the dash out and tried finding loose wires, things wired incorrectly, chewed up wires, but couldn’t find anything wrong. 
Has anyone found a solution to what causes these center dash lights that constantly blow the 7.5 amp fuse? Anything would be helpful.  Thank you