Replace Air Bag Sensor?

joeypruett

allo all! i'm very happy to see a place i can post my questions.

my wife's 1992 LS400 has had the air bag light on for two years. we just took it to the dealership and they say the center air bag sensor is kaput. they recommend replacing for $850 and say the air bags will not deploy until fixed.

i'd like thoughts on whether or not to replace.

the air bag light has been OFF since the visit. was the bad sensor reading an anomoly? is it okay now?

thanks!

-joey

Have you always owned the car? Somtimes if one of the airbag cables was disconnected it could trigger the air bag light to come on. Thats what happened to me when I was removing my glove box. I disconnected one of the yellow wiring harnesses and then plugged it back on which triggered the air bag light to stay on. The I had the dealer turn it off. The dealer then told me they couldn't just turn that light off for without fixing it otherwise it would be against the law. I explained to them that I had just disconnected one of the wiring harnesses of the Airbag system and they turned off the light for me for free. You could always get a second opinion to have the SRS checked out by someone else independently.

Also if the instrument cluster is removed the light can come on.

Have a 93 and tried to buy the air bag sensor on Ebay. Was supposed to be for a 90 to 94. Ended up with the wrong model 89170-50011. Needed 89170-50020. The unit is for sale cheap if you can use it.

Quite a job to replace. I can send you the pdf of how to replace the sensor if you need it.

Ron

Also if the instrument cluster is removed the light can come on.

Have a 93 and tried to buy the air bag sensor on Ebay. Was supposed to be for a 90 to 94. Ended up with the wrong model 89170-50011. Needed 89170-50020. The unit is for sale cheap if you can use it.

Quite a job to replace. I can send you the pdf of how to replace the sensor if you need it.

Ron

thanks ron,

we think it was an errant light from a two year old A/C repair.

we'll drop you a line if we decide to replace the sensor.

thanks,

-joey

Maybe its just me, but if the airbag light was turned off at the dealer and has not come on again. I would think that there is nothing wrong with the airbag system. (as long as that light appears when you turn your key to the acc. position).

that's our opinion too. we just weren't sure if the sensor could still be bad if the light was off.

the dealers don't try to save us money, do they?

i should start a car dealership - they're always turning my fritos into their fritos.