Slight Hesitation....

Lex3486

'Sup guys and gals? Lately I've noticed (as I used to with my 92) a slight hesitation when my car shifts into second gear. It's almost as if the engine floods out, because if you let off the gas, it corrects itself. This happens pretty much only when the engine has just been started and is still cold. Very rarely has it ever happened when the engine warms up, although I do seem to recall that it happened once when I was trying to race. (Needless to say, I lost that one!). I've checked the intake pipe, and it's good as new. Any suggestions? Perhaps that cold start sensor I've seen y'all talkin about?. :unsure:

it is an injector in the manifold not a sensor you are refering to , it think

try to get a good fuel cleaner first

also the car will shift weirdly when it is cold but get a good fuel claening done

oh yah

the tranny does have a filter

but it is a metal mesh not a paper one so it does not get replaced only cleaned

Okay; today, it almost caused me to get run over! :o I wouldn't have thought that it has anything to do with the tranny; seems to me more like a potential air or fuel problem, but that is why I asked! I haven't taken a REALLY close look at the intake piping, so maybe I should do that before doing anything else. I know that even the slightest problem there can cause major problems overall. Oh, and about the fuel cleaner; I ran a bottle of, I believe it was STP, injector cleaner when I replaced spark plugs, and I always run 93 in it, even though I know that probably has nothing to do with this in particular. I would run fuel system cleaner, but my dad and I agree that those sort of things only cause problems in the long run, or else you'd hear more good things about them; In our opinions, they're mostly just a waste of money. How do you check and or clean the tranny filter? I'd like to know so I can do it when/if I replace tranny fluid. Thanx for the suggestions! Keep 'em comin'!

Oh, and forgot to mention; today, when it did it, the engine was at normal operating temperature, and it happened while still in first gear. It's almost as if it hits a "dead spot" because it's like you stomp on it and it starts out strong, but then just hits this point (probably around 2500 or so) where it's almost like it's idling, because it has no throttle response, like you don't even have the pedal pressed at all! As I talk about it, it begins to sound more and more to me like another intake problem! I had my 92 do something similar once, but a lot worse; it wouldn't even move an inch before it died. Came to find that it had a HUGE crack in it.