Power Steering And Belt Question?

Gene

1994 LS400 104K miles. I've had it about a year. Today I felt a light jerk in the steering wheel. I checked front tire pressure-OK. I drove again and turning corners I felt the jerk. No squeeling like when the fluid is low. I checked fluid while hot and it was barely below the indentifier. I added a little to bring it to the hot level. I still feel a light jerk when turning.

I smelled the fluid. It had a very faint burnt odor. I pressed the drive belt. It gave way suddenly and compressed maybe an inch or more. (1) Does anyone know if the car has a chronic power steering problem? (2) Has anyone ever recommended removing the old power steering fluid by using a syringe and replacing it with new? Would this help? (3) When the belt suddenly compressed (pushed in) I thought it may have a weak tensioner somewhere. It offered a little resistance before dropping. Does the way I've described the belt make anyone think it may be the cause of the power steering problem? In the distant past I've messed with engines a little and the rule of thumb was if the belt gave more than about a half inch it needed tightening.

All opinions appreciated. Regards, Gene

Gene....

You can visually check the Serp. belt tensioner. There are two marks.....A and B. A new belt should be within the A zone, otherwise , the tensioner is bad. Look for cracks in the belt also......

If your not sure the belt has ever been replaced; 12 years and 105 k miles would be a good time to start... The belt is an easy DIY fix = and the tensioner isn't hard either.

Now - about that PS fluid.......

If it truely has been 12 years.......man - it needs a flush for sure. You can use a small "medicine dropper" to get about 2 oz. out at a time and completely drain the reservoir. Use Dex III tranny fluid - I actually use "max life Dex III tranny fluid". Refill with clean fluid and repeat this about 10 times in the next month or two and you'll see it clearing up. buy 3 quarts and this only take about 15 minutes each time.

Much discussion about PS on these LS machines........ I completely flush mine out every 10k miles and its always very clean.

Gene:

(1) Does anyone know if the car has a chronic power steering problem? (2) Has anyone ever recommended removing the old power steering fluid by using a syringe and replacing it with new?

Please do a search for Power Steering on this board. There are volumes & volumes of posts, specific to the weaknesses of the P/S system. Many people (myself included) have had a great deal of experience with this. There is a solution, but I'd recommend you read up on the subject first.

Also, look at this link;

LexLS

Thanks for the replies. I did a lot of reading from the other questions. It does seem the LS400 can have a powr steering problem, doesn't it. I drove to a car wash and cleaned the engine. On the way there and back I estimate I made about ten 90 degree turns. Only on one of them did I feel a jerk in the steering. Following the thought to try the simpliest thing first I believe I'll follow the pictures and instructions showing how to change the fluid. I've not read of anyone saying this might fix the problem but there's enough discussion I felt it worth a try. The note about checking the tensioner is valuable. I've not checked it yet but will today (Sat 9-2). Thanks, again, y'all, for the advice and leading me toward the other discussions. Gene

Sorry to bother you folks again but how does one see the tensioner? I have a Chilton's import car manual for 1990-1994. It speaks of a tensioner but doesn't say nor is their a picture to show where it is. I did a search Lexus Forums search hoping to find instructions and pictures but missed it if it's here somewhere. Any help? Thanks, Gene

Although I've had a computer since February, 1990 I still don't understand why some notes I get and/or download come through like trying to read an ancient egyptian wall. Such was the case when I tried to save the pdf site you mentioned. I can still get it from your post and I thank you. If and when I began working on the vehicle I'll refer to it.

For whatever it's worth my history of the vehicle did not disclose a 90K service. We don't have a Lexus dealer in Asheville (near by) and the nearest one is in Greenville, SC. Still, the person I got it from seemed fairly meticulous but also she was a young single parent. She had the vehicle since shortly after the 60K service was done by the prior owner. I have information she had the oil changed regularly but know little after that.

Friday I called a local foreign car service. I'm going through a third party to, hopefully, get my best deal on a 90K service. I'll know Tuesday what they charge. If I'm not mistaken they replace things like the water pump, the tensioner, the serpetine belt, and so on. If I get them to do the work I'll have them check the steering pump. I drove it yesterday and twice noticed it grabbing at about a 90 degree turn. Anything below sharp turns does not create any grabbing reaction. Thanks, again. Gene

Gene:

Although I've had a computer since February, 1990 I still don't understand why some notes I get and/or download come through like trying to read an ancient egyptian wall. Such was the case when I tried to save the pdf site you mentioned. I can still get it from your post and I thank you. If and when I began working on the vehicle I'll refer to it.

Try downloading & installing any of these "pdf" (Adobe Acrobat) readers;

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

(Un-check the "Download Yahoo toolbar option.....it's a PITA!)

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

http://www.visagesoft.com/products/pdfreader/

Reader

ALSO, this program has a .pdf WRITER in it, has M/S Office like capabilitites & is Absolutely FREE!...............I'm all done with M/S Office.......

http://www.openoffice.org/