I Keep Hearing Dogbone..

vytran80

The "dog bone" is a motor mount. It just kinda looks like a dog bone. Its usually mounted to the top side of the engine. Its bolted from the engine to the body. Shouldn't be too hard to locate. If the bushing is worn then replace, if its still in good shape and not torn then it could be other mounts failing.

The "dog bone" is a motor mount. It just kinda looks like a dog bone. Its usually mounted to the top side of the engine. Its bolted from the engine to the body. Shouldn't be too hard to locate. If the bushing is worn then replace, if its still in good shape and not torn then it could be other mounts failing.

Yeah I thought it was that mount next to the timing belt cover thanks but do you think the hard shifting could be due to the torque tranny strut and the front motor mount?

Maybe. Always check the transmission fluid too tho

.Generally the dogbone mount takes the majority of the torque abuse. That's it's only purpose in life. Mounts like that normally wear long befor the other mounts. Now if you're driving around with one that's broken, all the other engine mounts are having to deal with an engine & transmission that rock around signifigantly more. So they wear out at a much faster rate once that mount's shot.

There's a reason aftermarket cheapies cost ike $30-40 bucks. They're "expendable"! :D

• 2 years later...

I'm about to replace my dogbone mount--93 es300--it looks like it doesn't bear any load when the lex is parked. Do I need to jack/support my motor to replace it? Looks like I can just unbolt it and replace it without supporting the motor from underneath.

Thanks!

I replaced mine in my '96 without any trouble at all. Take it out and put it back in. If you need to wiggle it, do it in park and rock the whole vehicle forward and backward.

Mine was trashed. The rubber had pretty much separated. I didn't notice anything out of the normal shifting or otherwise. I just happened to look at it one day and noticed it was goners.

Motoroil, you're in CO. Me too. Where ya at?

Yup--haven't noticed any funky shifting--just looked at it and saw it was toast. I'll prolly do it and then support the engine and do the front mount as well--I've heard that soon after the dogbone the front mount goes as well. And based upon how tore up my dogbone is, then the front mount must be toast as well.

Colorado Springs--where you at? Snowing here today. :D