Help! Brake Fails After Diy Front Rotors And Pads

omni

Hello everyone,

I tried to DIY front rotors and pads on my 97 ES300, but after I finished, I found the brake didn't work because the brake fluid level in the reservior no longer changed on matter I pressed the brake pedal or not, consequently I even couldn't turn the key to ignite the car.

The only thing I might be wrong is that I pressed the brake pedal (a little hard) after both calipers were taken off the torque plate.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you change worn pads to new pads you recompress the pistons greatly. This shoves fluid back up into the brake resivior, which if it was full at the time of pad changing, will blow fluid out the over-fill drain. When you've finished, the brake fluid settles back down after adjustment & now the empty void is filled with air.

You always bleed brakes when you change brake pads. It shoul be done every 3 years or so anyway. Moisture inb rake fluid sucks. Makes it boil at almost 1/2 the temp.

Do you think if the piston in master cyliner was screwed up when I pressed the brake pedal and the capliper was off????

When you change worn pads to new pads you recompress the pistons greatly. This shoves fluid back up into the brake resivior, which if it was full at the time of pad changing, will blow fluid out the over-fill drain. When you've finished, the brake fluid settles back down after adjustment & now the empty void is filled with air.

You always bleed brakes when you change brake pads. It shoul be done every 3 years or so anyway. Moisture inb rake fluid sucks. Makes it boil at almost 1/2 the temp.

You might be right, but as a matter of fact, I couldn't turn the key to crank the car, I don't know why brake works could mess up the ignition.

Anyone has a clue????

Thanks!

I am still lost how you need to press the brake pedal to start the car?

If you owned a newer ES350 with puch button start then you would have to press the brake but not in a 300 !

I forgot to mention one thing here. since I only have a little time to work on my car, the baby has been on the jack stand and tilted up for a whole week, could it mess up something??

Thanks!

I am still lost how you need to press the brake pedal to start the car?

If you owned a newer ES350 with puch button start then you would have to press the brake but not in a 300 !

Safety switch.

It may require you to trip the brake light switch on the brake pedal before the ECU will start the car, just like you have to trigger that switch to shift out of park. That's a guess as to why you can't crank it. I've never lived with an '02 330, so no idea if they're suppose to do that.

No, sitting on jackstands won't hurt the car provided you're near the correct jacking points. I think mine sat on jackstands about 2 months straight last year.

Actually I am not 100% sure that I must press the brake pedal to start the car, can anyone who has 97 es300 confirm it??

I changed engine oil a couple of month ago and found that I couldn't even turn the key after the oil was released (but before refill it). I guess a sensor in the engine would detect the oil pressure, if the pressure is not right, we can't turn the key to start the car.

Because my car has been on the jackstands (not horizontally) for a while, it may affect the engine oil level to prevent me from starting the car.

of course, it's my wild guess.

Safety switch.

It may require you to trip the brake light switch on the brake pedal before the ECU will start the car, just like you have to trigger that switch to shift out of park. That's a guess as to why you can't crank it. I've never lived with an '02 330, so no idea if they're suppose to do that.

No, sitting on jackstands won't hurt the car provided you're near the correct jacking points. I think mine sat on jackstands about 2 months straight last year.

Hi Toysrme,

Could you explain why the aie in brake lines prevent me from turning the key to crank the car??

Thanks!

No, notings broken. I simply think you've got air in the lines or the master cyl. Bleed them the correct way. You'll be OK.