Front Seat Wear

Cookeze

Has anyone had a problem with the top layer of leather wearing off on the front seat side bolster? This is the area a couple of inches up in the seat back just inside the driver's door. I realize that I may brush over this when entering and exiting however the car is a 2005 with less the 13,000 miles. This wear seems abnormal.

I dont think I have that. When was the last time you did a leather cleaner and treated it?

About six months ago using Lexol. I use this on all the cars in my collection. This car is only a year old with light use by a 100 lb woman......

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think I have that. When was the last time you did a leather cleaner and treated it?

About six months ago using Lexol. I use this on all the cars in my collection. This car is only a year old with light use by a 100 lb woman......

Yep, brushing across the side bolster will lead to premature wear. Other premature wear areas are the handle on the A pillar and the door pull. Body salts and dirt contribute to the friction. If the 100 pound woman driver wears shorts or a short skirt then her bare legs contribute to the problem; it's not entirely weight but also frequency and length of contact.

Another factor is the sweat factor of the person. Some of us just sweat more than others, particularly when pressed against a leather surface.

• 1 month later...

It's funny when I first read these questions and comments I had no clue of what you guys were talking about. Yesterday, I detailed the interior of the car and now I know exactly what you’re talking about. I used Mothers cleaning and conditioner and the leather seems to absorb the conditioner. Well the only thing that I can recommend is that you maintain your leather. I spoke to a person that details leather and he recommended that in my climate (I live in Canada and its really dry where I live) that I clean and condition my leather at least once a month. He even recommended that when you are conditioning your leather you do it by hand, leave it for a few minutes and then wipe. Like I said I tried it last night and the leather seemed to absorb majority of the conditioner. The way it was explained to me is that leather is no different then your skin, you put lotion on your skin to keeping it from cracking so it's the same principal to the leather seats.

Well hope this helps, but it's a good thing I asked because I've only had the car for about a month or two and I'm glad I'm taking care of the leather now rather then later.

• 7 months later...

Ditto.

Yesterday, I've noticed the wear on the drivers seat in the exact location described. The truck has ~12K! This is ridiculous. Never had these problems on the 10year 140K+ audi. The leather on the seats should be treated to withstand the 'normal' wear -- its not like your skin.

Cheap materials.

Remember, the GX is a tall vehicle, meaning that there's more stress and rubbing of our butts on the leather, which means that it will more than likely cause more cracking or wear & tear because we have to slide down everytime we exit the vehicle. That's what I've noticed with my GX, versus a sedan with leather seats whose seats don't easily show wear right away...

But as Nica explained, the leather is like our skin and it'll absorb the conditioner so the more you clean and condition it, the longer it'll last w/o cracking. ;)

There are compalins about the Audi's leather seats in their SUV as well. Bottom line is, all SUV seats will wear faster due to the rubbing from getting in and out. The only seat I have seen that wear better is in the BMW X5. They use a tougher leather which show less wrinkle but the leather is not as soft.

• 1 month later...
There are compalins about the Audi's leather seats in their SUV as well. Bottom line is, all SUV seats will wear faster due to the rubbing from getting in and out. The only seat I have seen that wear better is in the BMW X5. They use a tougher leather which show less wrinkle but the leather is not as soft.

I have the same problem as on the driver side any one have some idea to improve the condition of the leather

• 1 month later...

We have an 03 GX and noticed this about 18 months ago. My wife showed it to the dealer and they replaced the piece under warranty. I have used Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the truck since it was new.

• 2 months later...

We have a new '07 IS250, that is only 5 months old and has only 5000 miles. Complained about wear to service dept in Palm Beach. They agreed to change the back of the front seat cover one time only.

Seems that they know there's a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We have a new '07 IS250, that is only 5 months old and has only 5000 miles. Complained about wear to service dept in Palm Beach. They agreed to change the back of the front seat cover one time only.

Seems that they know there's a problem.

I have a 05 gx470, I also use palm Beach. I mentioned this to Dino and he said the dealer will not fix the ware and tear, how did you get them to fix the seat. Also who is your contact person at Lexus?