Knock Sensor Quote From Lexus

Scotterz

I took my 2000 RX 300 AWD with 155,000 miles on it to Lexus of Tulsa this weekend. The CEL is on and AutoZone read the 2 codes that everyone else on here has, the MAF sensor and the knock sensor. When I went to the dealership she quoted me $414.00 for parts and $544 for labor. The original quote that came out said it would take 3.5 hours to complete the job, but she quoted me 6.5 hours. I asked what the 3.5 was for and she said that if it was warranty work they would have to get it done in 3.5 hours but because I’m a retail customer it would take 6.5 hours. Has anyone else heard of this? How long does it really take for the dealer to complete the job?

I took my 2000 RX 300 AWD with 155,000 miles on it to Lexus of Tulsa this weekend. The CEL is on and AutoZone read the 2 codes that everyone else on here has, the MAF sensor and the knock sensor. When I went to the dealership she quoted me $414.00 for parts and $544 for labor. The original quote that came out said it would take 3.5 hours to complete the job, but she quoted me 6.5 hours. I asked what the 3.5 was for and she said that if it was warranty work they would have to get it done in 3.5 hours but because I’m a retail customer it would take 6.5 hours. Has anyone else heard of this? How long does it really take for the dealer to complete the job?

Yes, I used to hear it often. It's called a " screw-job ", just like everything else done at a Lexus service department. Take it to a Toyota dealer or an independent shop.

It's called a Flat-Rate labor guide. The factory warranty labor pays the dealer a very low time to complete a repair. Almost no tech can beat the time the 1st time they do the job. Customer pay labor time is based on many different labor guides like Mitchell, Chilton. Their times are longer to do the same repair as the factory manuel. If the job pays 3.5 hours and the tech finishes in 3 hours he still gets paid 3.5 hours. If he takes 8.7 hours to finish the job he still gets paid 3.5 hours.

It's called a Flat-Rate labor guide. The factory warranty labor pays the dealer a very low time to complete a repair. Almost no tech can beat the time the 1st time they do the job. Customer pay labor time is based on many different labor guides like Mitchell, Chilton. Their times are longer to do the same repair as the factory manuel. If the job pays 3.5 hours and the tech finishes in 3 hours he still gets paid 3.5 hours. If he takes 8.7 hours to finish the job he still gets paid 3.5 hours.

i've been calling around to local mechanics, there are about 4 in my area that specialize in lexus and toyota, the first couple i called were around 700 and the last one i called was on recommendation of someone i work with, she said she has been taking her cars to him for years, he quoted me $368 to replace both sensors and the wire, thats tax, parts and labor out the door, i'm thinking he might has mis quoted me but i'll be doing the happy dance if thats really what he is going to charge me, i guess we'll find out on friday.

i've been calling around to local mechanics, there are about 4 in my area that specialize in lexus and toyota, the first couple i called were around 700 and the last one i called was on recommendation of someone i work with, she said she has been taking her cars to him for years, he quoted me $368 to replace both sensors and the wire, thats tax, parts and labor out the door, i'm thinking he might has mis quoted me but i'll be doing the happy dance if thats really what he is going to charge me, i guess we'll find out on friday.

The MAF sensor can be replaced in 15 minutes. On the RX300, it's located next to the air cleaner box right on top of the ducting that goes to the engine. Just two small phillips head screws hold it on. So the other 3-6 hours of labor is for the knock sensor?

The MAF sensor can be replaced in 15 minutes. On the RX300, it's located next to the air cleaner box right on top of the ducting that goes to the engine. Just two small phillips head screws hold it on. So the other 3-6 hours of labor is for the knock sensor?

all the time quoted was for just the knock sensors, i cleaned the MAF sensor myself and the code didnt come back, i just went to lexus and told them i wanted the two sensors replaced and thats what they quoted me, she said i could buy the sensors from rockauto.com and they would install those ones i bring in but they wouldnt guarantee the work and they are only charging $170.00 for each sensor so its not that much more than rock auto