Crush Washers.......

99lsguy

Hey forum gurus......

My little 99ls is finally at the 91k mark.......so I'm doing all the fluid, filter change outs.....etc...

Well - I just wondering about the "technically correct" placement of the crush washers on the oil, tranny, and diffy plugs ......as if it matters :unsure:

These washers (at least the tranny and diffy) have a FLAT SIDE and a CURVED SIDE. I've always put the CURVED SIDE IN TO THE DRAIN HOLE....allowing the flat side to be pressed against the bolt edge and then tighten up...

Just wondering if that's the way they're suppose to go???

(you'd think a guy who changes his tranny fluid every other oil change and the diffy every 15k would notice.......... :chairshot: :geek: :P .........) - But I"ll get it straight from now on.......

Thanks!

lsguy:

I believe that you have it correct.

If this is indeed a crush washer, then it stands to reason that the flat side would go up against the underside of the bolt head and the cone shape would go toward the hole

I was initially thinking you were describing a cone washer, which is why I did an "about - face".