Problem With Spoilerdepot's Product

steviej

In Jan 03, I had a spoiler installed on my 02 ES. The spoiler was bought at the dealership and installed by them. However, the spoiler was made and painted by SpoilerDepot in Florida. The paint had bubbled in what started to be small pin prick like bubbles that have escalated into blemished and white rings. The silver paint is discoloring unevenly and actually showing some spotting. At first I thought is was sun related but it is on the underside as well. Unfortunately, SpoilerDepot's direct warranty as well as what is offered by the dealership is only 12 months. A new spoiler is $250 painted and a local bodyshop will remove, strip, seal and repaint my exhisting one for the same price.

I am just curious as to if anyone else with a SpoilerDepot product has experienced this.

thanks,

steviej

my dealership wants to see it. They said they might be able to put pressure on SpoilerDepot because they move alot their product. I will take SK's suggestion if they can't help. I have a reply on CL from a guy in NC with the same problem.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...

SpoilerDepot returned my email and basically said the warranty was 1 year so tough crap. They proceeded to give me instructions on how to sand, prime and repaint their product.

At the advice of my service manager, I had the parts manager look at the spoiler. He was very concerned with the appearence and condition of the product he sells for SpoilerDepot. He was also surprised when I told him about my email responce from SpoilerDepot and the fact that they don't prime before they paint. He has offered to remove the spoiler, sand it down, prime it and repaint it at no charge, plus I get a loaner for two days too. Now that is what I call service.

steviej

Cool!

You should send a letter to Spoiler Depot and inform them that they should be appreciative that at least this reseller of their product stands behind it, even if they don't.

The dealership is actually going to do something. He said he needed a good reason to stop doing business with them. He has been doing business with them for 15 years and recently SpoilerDepot has made all there commercial customers COD. He was outraged. Never made a late payment, always used their product yet he gets treated the same as the bad customers.

With the newer models all going to lip spoilers, he will be dealing directly with Lexus and L-tunedparts more.

steviej

I found that I got much better results when I called them(Spoilerdepot) directly, rather than send an email. This is exactly how I got the replacement LED for my spoiler. The first person I spoke to told me that the LED assembly only had a 3 month warranty, but the spoiler had a 1 year warranty. I then told this guy that I wanted to speak to a higher up because I wasn't satisfied with what he told me. He told me to hold on, and when he came back on the phone he said that they'll send me one gratis, even though it wasn't their policy.

It seems very strange that they didn't use primer before painting?? My spoiler was absolutely perfect after being on the car for almost 3 years. I guess I lucked out.

Since I bought the spoiler from my dealer, they said all dealings have to be through my dealer. They (SpoilerDepot) have no record of my buying the spoiler from them. Rightly so, I didn't. As a matter of fact, when I got the first replacement LED strip, I got it from the dealer....gratis.

I have it scheduled to go in next Monday. I wonder what my loaner will be, IS, ES or RX. :whistles:

Oh what I will want to buy next week.

steviej

I have it scheduled to go in next Monday. I wonder what my loaner will be, IS, ES or RX. :whistles:

steviej

Whatever you do dont let them give you an ES350 LOL

Carla made me promise not to accept ES350 loaners anymore!

steviej

Whatever you do dont let them give you an ES350 LOL

Carla made me promise not to accept ES350 loaners anymore!

Carla's right........the temptation would be too great. heehee

I have a great service advisor and the support people at my dealership are all really good people, you should have heard the laughter when I told the loaner guy that no, I couldn't take an ES350 because the little woman wouldn't let me LOL

I am currently riding around in a white 06 RX400h.

Very very smooth and powerful ride. I like it very much except for a constant leather rubbing against plastic sound from the rear seat. Simple moving the seat forward a notch solved that.

I am glad I didn't get the ES cause it is a possiblility to trade up. Now way I could go for the 400h unless I he the lottery. The vehicle is awesome in everyway, except price. It is the first hybrid I have ever driven and I am getting used to it. I miss reving the engine, very odd to not be able to do that and at times it sounds like I am driving a very big golf cart.

oh well, I can dream.

steviej