External System Not Connected - Lx470

edceo007

Hi everyone,

I'm new to my used LX470 and new to the forum. I have a problem I hope you can help with. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but....

Like I said I'm new to this used LX470 that I got at auction. Love it! I had an LX before this one.

Anyway, I haven't driven it much 'cause I went out of town almost as soon as I bought it. When I turn the car on, the screen comes on but it doesn't show any data. It shows the "static" (non-changing) stuff like the icons and words, but not the MPG, or mileage or anything dynamic. When I start pushing buttons, I get the message "External system not connected". Occasionally, it will "engage" and I get information and I set my A/C and all that and life is good. It will soon stop giving info, unfortunately.

Is there some plug that is not seated correctly? Please help!! Anyone know what to do about this one? The screen is not aftermarket.

Thanks a ton!

- Ed

Hi everyone,

I'm new to my used LX470 and new to the forum. I have a problem I hope you can help with. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but....

Like I said I'm new to this used LX470 that I got at auction. Love it! I had an LX before this one.

Anyway, I haven't driven it much 'cause I went out of town almost as soon as I bought it. When I turn the car on, the screen comes on but it doesn't show any data. It shows the "static" (non-changing) stuff like the icons and words, but not the MPG, or mileage or anything dynamic. When I start pushing buttons, I get the message "External system not connected". Occasionally, it will "engage" and I get information and I set my A/C and all that and life is good. It will soon stop giving info, unfortunately.

Is there some plug that is not seated correctly? Please help!! Anyone know what to do about this one? The screen is not aftermarket.

Thanks a ton!

- Ed

Ed,

What year is your LX? I had a similar condition on my 04 LX and the dealer ended up replacing the entire Nav. screen. I know that there a TSB for this on certain years of LC/LX.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks a ton!

- Ed

I had a similar problem with my 2004 LX and the dealer sent the NAV unit to get repaired (they put in a replacement refurb unit under warranty). It was wierd the unit kept working on and off sporadically. Good luck. Sorry I can't provide any add'l info.

• 1 year later...

Hi - newb here. Just joined the forum after recently purchasing a pre-certified 2004 LX470. Love it so far, but I'm already having Navigation problems similar to the ones described by the original poster. When I start the car, half the time the "I Accept" screen comes on and all functions work properly and other times an "Audio Off" screen displays. The "Audio Off" screen is usually followed by either a "Check System Error" or "External System Not Connected". Or I get some combination of all three aforementioned screens one after another. All of the controls through the Nav screen are frozen once the error messages appear and then eventually become available after driving for 3-5 minutes.

One of the posters above mentioned a TSB for this issue - I've been unable to find it online. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi - newb here. Just joined the forum after recently purchasing a pre-certified 2004 LX470. Love it so far, but I'm already having Navigation problems similar to the ones described by the original poster. When I start the car, half the time the "I Accept" screen comes on and all functions work properly and other times an "Audio Off" screen displays. The "Audio Off" screen is usually followed by either a "Check System Error" or "External System Not Connected". Or I get some combination of all three aforementioned screens one after another. All of the controls through the Nav screen are frozen once the error messages appear and then eventually become available after driving for 3-5 minutes.

One of the posters above mentioned a TSB for this issue - I've been unable to find it online. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2002 LX470. I disconnected the CD/DVD Changer (to identify video out signal for rear video display) and get the "External System Not Connected" message. Although this message is for the Changer, I would expect a similar or same message for other intermittent or loose connections. It is possible that there is a bad connection within one or more connectors. I would suggest inspecting the connectors between the NAV system and the cable going to the dash unit. I expect the connector would be under the seat where the NAV system is located.

• 9 years later...