what oil to use?

monty

Your best using a high quality oil.. something like Castrol Part synthetic

I would never use Mineral in my car again as it does not provide enough protection

In the UK here I use Castrol Magnetec 10W 40

Try and find something part synthetic with a good quality name

Some people will say it comes from the same hole.. but may not be as well refined as castrol.

• 4 months later...

what about the change interval for synthetic lubricants like Mobil One? Does anyone know what Lexus recommends? I can't find it anywhere and their customer service just says its the same as for normal lubricants. This doesn't make sense.

Lexus isn't going to condone a longer change interval for synthetics, it would place them with too much liability. You can push the life of synthetic oil past 15,000 miles, with routine filter changes.

it all depends where you live and drive

i am in toronto canada

the south most part of the country

i do lots of highway and have a remote start so the car all ways gets a good warm up first

i use 5-50 in the summer and 0-30 in the winter i put about 20,000km a year and change it twice a year spring and fall

(that reminds me i should change it this week )

i only use full synthetics

as you can't tell how much ratio wise is syn or regular from refining

so why pay for it if it might be just 10%

i don't know so i stick with the better of the 2

hope this helps

Monty, as stated it all depends on driving conditions, time and miles driven. No you do not have to get the oil at Lexus.

Dino oil should not be given much more that 3-4k miles or at least every 4 months.

Synthetics can go higher, 5-6k miles. (but SW03ES, I think the 15,000 mile is way to high, sorry)

I don't care for dino/syn blends so I won't mention them.

You can use whatever oil you want with some rules in mind.

1. Always use the API grade or better as indicated in your manual or on the oil fill cap. In 1995 I believe the rating was SF or SG. In 2002 it was up to SJ.

2. Use the SAE (viscosity) indicated for your car. 95 ES was probably 5w-30 when new. If you have over 75k miles on it, you may want to go with 10w-30.

3. Always put in the amount the owner's manual called for. Any more can damage the engine as well as less.

4. Lastly.......when changing oil......CHANGE THE FILTER. Use a good filter that has a back-flow valve. (Mobil 1, Toyota, K&N are superior and run around $10 US)

This is an easy DIY in the driveway, just discard the old oil properly.

If you need a step by step just ask...the tricky part is getting to the oil filter without burning your wrist.

Lastly, if anyone tells you that once you go synthetic, you can't go back. Tell them go sit on an oil filter. This was/is a myth created by the oil manufacturers to make money. Synthetics cost more but offer more advantages.

I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filter (purchased at AutoZone). I may change to the K&N filter cause of the ability to put a socket on it. The current position of the filter makes it hard to get an oil filter wrench on the Mobil 1 or Toyota filter to go that last 3/4 turn after gasket stop.

need help......just ask.....there a plenty of knowledgable people on this site.

steviej

(but SW03ES, I think the 15,000 mile is way to high, sorry)

I actually agree. I've been told by many people that you can wait this long, or longer between changes of synthetic oil, but I've never been able to last over 7,000 miles or so, its just drummed into me and I can't help it ;)

Haven't had it changed in the Lexus yet, but when I do I'm going to specify Mobil 1.

It depends on the driving conditions.

Even if you use full synthetic, if you drive short distances, or other

"severe duty" conditions, you should probably change it earlier than 15k.

Although synthetic oils don't degrade as quickly as mineral oil; at longer

service intervals, syn oils detergents ability to hold contaminants may

not last that long.

• 4 months later...

Everything posted here is true dealing with the API specs and driving conditions.. Drain intervals however are not consistant worldwide for the same vehicles....European standards which several synthetic oils indicate they meet allow for much longer intervals yet in the US the "3000 Mile" number seems ingrained in our culture.. Mobil one is a fine synthetic and readily available , however I have found that I much prefer Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 which I use in my 1996 ES and change once a year. (Filter twice a year) .I live in Chicago and experience hard winters and hot summers..The engine runs like a charm and the additional cost of the product is offset by the longer interval...(35,000Miles or 1 year) Amsoil has done extensive testing of their products and Mobil One and the results are available on their website.. I use it in my truck as well... No I am not an Amsoil dealer just a satisfied customer of many years..

One thing to remember is that you own an expensive quality automobile..Don't use some bargain grade oil and 99 cent filter on it...

I essentially had the same post a few weeks ago, and I'm sorry but I'm still lost.

I've had my 98 ES for about 3 weeks. I don't know what kind of oil is in it now nor do I know what the previous owner used. Checked the dipstick - came back clean and indicated level was where it should be.

The thing is I want to start using synthetic oil. I don't know which one to use. I don't know if I can just switch to this when I have the oil changed or if some kind of process needs to take place first. I don't know if I'll do damage or something.

I want to start using Mobil 1 - this is synthetic, right?

Sorry to sound so ignorant but I'm trying to learn and I just (for now) don't understand terms like: SAE, viscosity, sockets & gaskets. :(

Help me guys!

When I was bored the other day, I read through some of the posts in the LS400/430 forum. They were having a discussion similar to this one. However, one or two of them said that on cars that have used nonsynthetic oils all of their lives should not switch over to synthetics; these members say that they have heard rumors of possible oil leaks from this situation....fact or fiction? For the mechanically uninclined :blushing: ...what are the advantages of synthetic oils? I have a '94 ES with 108k should I switch?

i use synthetic castrol.ive used it in every car i owned and never had a problem.Like everyone else said it depends on how much you drive it.i change my oil every 3,000 miles just to be safe.i mean we spend more money on crap stuff then a oil change everyday so really theres no big deal about changing it every 3,000 miles.i just like to be on the safe side and thats just me but its really up to the owner to take a look at the dip stick and see if its ready for a change or not. just my 2 sense. :chairshot:

I prefer synthetic and have always used it.

My first car was a turbo, my second was supercharged, my third is the ES.

Advantages of synthetic:

1. Less friction on mechanical parts

2. Supposedly a tiny increase in gas mileage

3. A longer interval in changing oil, thanslates into less money spent in the long run on oil changes.

4. Give me peace of mind cause I have always used it.

and the top answer for me

5. Synthetic stays more viscous at lower temperatures. This is a particular selling point for me being in cold New England winters. There is better lubrication on cold start ups with synthetic.

#5 may not apply to you JPI being in Dallas, or you H8R Proof being in So Cal. It is a major selling point for me, turbo or not.

H8R Proof, no there is no special preparation to switch. Just go for it on the next oil change if you so desire. Just change your filter too.

H8R Proof, check out this website, alot of your questions may be answered.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

I guess when it comes down to it, if you use dino or synthetic it is all up to the user as to which one makes them feel better. As long as it is changed within acceptable intervals there should be no problems.

steviej

Steviej

for the 98 es300, they spec Dextron III & II for the ATF ( I was told not to go with the Toyota type IV since the 98 uses Dextron), I want to go synthetic for the ATF. Any thoughts between Mobil1, Redline, or the Amsoil ATF?

pull a name out of a hat.

all three are very reputable companies. I probably would go with Mobil 1 just cause I have used their products and have been content with their quality. I have yet to use any amsoil or redline products. I just don't see them around here like I see Mobil 1.

steviej