Navigation Problems

• 2 months later...

Hi, can anybody help I have a 2001 l-tuned gs 300 the navigation screens say no disk detected. every thing else still works fine. I even bought the new updated disk and still no disk detected.

did you ever find out how to fix the problem?.. also did you get the right dvd? part number should only be one of these:

86271-33030 - 2001/2 dvd

86271-33031 - 2002/3 dvd

86271-33032 - 2003/4 dvd

86271-33033 - 2004/5 dvd recalled i believe (not sure)

86271-33034 - 2005 dvd

86271-33035 - 2006 dvd (to be release in Nov. 06)

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue..."no disk detected" on my 2002. Spoke with Toyota today and they are looking into it. I got a 2K quote. I hate to say it but it reminds me of why I stopped even considering American cars. Reeks of planned obsolence. Put something in a car that breaks 3 -4 years later that costs thousands to fix. Please Toyota/Lexus...fix this problem

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue..."no disk detected" on my 2002. Spoke with Toyota today and they are looking into it. I got a 2K quote. I hate to say it but it reminds me of why I stopped even considering American cars. Reeks of planned obsolence. Put something in a car that breaks 3 -4 years later that costs thousands to fix. Please Toyota/Lexus...fix this problem

if a good disk is in there then no disk detected means the lasers not functining so the computer thinks there is no disk. this has been a problem for the 2nd generation computers with part numbers 2001 model 86841-50010 and 2002 86841-47020. so far the 3rd generation computers not failing which are part number 86841-33060.................................................................................................in addition to this information i will mention that all all the 2/3 computers use the same update discs. the 6.1 is just released and is 86271-33035 and has a u01 at 2 oclock on the disc label. the 4th genration use another set of update maps and the 5th generation another different set. so there are now 3 diferent and incompatible 6.1 2007 map discs. i only mention this in this discussion because if a newer computer has been installed in your vehicle then the update disc the dealer sells you by vin number may be the incorrect disc.

• 3 months later...

Well, I think you can now add the 3rd generation to the list. My 2002 has a 86841-33060, and it is also showing "no disk detected" as well. I had upgraded the 2002 disk to the 2005 disk myself, and had no problems for at least 6 months, so i'm pretty sure, the disks aren't the problem. I removed the unit for the vehicle, and removed the cover and and reconnected the unit to see if the disk was actually running. It does, but for only a few seconds, then it stops. Anyone know if the unit is supposed to be running continually or not. It seems to me that even when the car was turned off, but the key was on, I could hear the disk running in the trunk. Also, the unit does not eject the disk from the unit any longer. Even though the disk does do not eject, if I toggle the 2 eject switces, unit will start to run, then once again shuts off. I did this with the front cover off the unit. I am interested to hear from anyone in regards to the repair or resolution of this problem, since Lexus just quoted me $4800.00 for the part. Of course thats a new unit, but it leads me to believe, a $2000.00 quote would probably involve a remanufactured unit for the replacement. And that logically tells me that this is a recurring issue with these DENSO units.

Just as an update, I found that Lexus has an exchange for a little over $1400.00, which, all things considered, isn't all that bad. Still a bit on the expensive side, but far less than 4800.00 I was originally quoted.

• 1 year later...
Hi, can anybody help I have a 2001 l-tuned gs 300 the navigation screens say no disk detected. every thing else still works fine. I even bought the new updated disk and still no disk detected.

I have a 2001 GS300 with navigation that now says "no disk detected" and am not feeling inspired to get the updated disk if there is an expensive problem with the system/hardware. Anyone have current info?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 GS300 with navigation that now says "no disk detected" and am not feeling inspired to get the updated disk if there is an expensive problem with the system/hardware. Anyone have current info?

i actually had the same problem in my 2001 GS430. but some how i amazingly fixed it. i took everything apart and i noticed that the laser is in the middle and not at the starting point. i moved it back to the starting point put everything back together and bam! it worked! you can try that it actually worked for me. but my only problem now is that the streets on the map is crooked and not straight. tried everything to fix it but didnt get it. so if anyone has a solution for that. please let me know! thanks!