Good Deal On 1999 Ls400?

CarAndDriver

I have found a 1999 LS400 with 42,500 miles for $24,900. The car is stated to be in excellent condition with one non-smoking owner. The car looks stock from the picture, but not sure what options it has. The car is being sold by an independent car dealership. Kelly BB lists retail as $33,185 and private party as $28,930. KBB has already started listing some 2003 used car prices--do the LS400 prices take into account 2004 cars? Is this a good deal for this car (if in stated condition)? Will it get cheaper in a month when 2004 year starts? Thanks for the help!

toddls400, smart idea, wish the club could provide this service say for a small fee?

http://www.carfax.com/

Single report is $14.99, unlimited for a month is $19.95. I would say that's a pretty good deal when you get to know whay you're buying. If you saw that the car was a salvage or it had a fishy history, wouldn't you be glad that you checked?

You shouldn't necessarily trust a carfax report, although they have a guarantee. I owned a Land Rover Defender 90 that was in a major collision while I owned it (over $25K in damage w/out totalling it). It has never shown up on Carfax. Even a novice with a very slight amount of body work knowledge can spot a repaired car. Two tell-tale signs are tape lines inside the doors or jams and alignment bolts under the hood on the inside of the fender. If the car is close to you I would actually take it on a test drive to a body shop and get them to look at it for you. They WILL be able to tell if it has been wrecked. You'll only buy one wrecked POS before you go to great lengths before you consider buying another used car. Hope it works out - sounds like a steal!

if it is too good to be true it probably is! i dont remember who said that but its true:) check the car first. by yourself, each part of the body should have a sticker with VIN number on it. it means its original part otherwise if the part is replaced itmeans that the car was in the accident. also check the hood and door lines, they all should be the same width everywhere. as to the engine there you have to take your chanses

That price is not at all unheard of for a 99, I see several around in that range and cheaper right now. Definately check it out, take it to a mechanic first, but I say if all seems good, go for it.