Sudden Downshift When Going Down Hill And Hitting Brake.

Here's the situation:

Every now and then I notice my GS300 downshifts when brake on the highway on a slight decline. It's very odd and happens only when I'm going around 60-65 miles per hour. Once I step on the brake the car downshifts and I feel a slight jerk as if the brakes just caught hard for a second. The car then stays in what I think is fourth gear as the rpms are above 3 thousand rmp while I'm going only 60-65 mph. The transmission downshifts once the brakes catch. It stays in fourth for a bit and it would suddenly upshift to fifth. If I push the gear shift lever left into the number '4' and then put it back into 'D' it would shift back up to 5th immediately, and the rpms go back to about 2,200.

This has been happening a bit more frequently as of late. Could this indicate a transmission problem??? And has anyone else experienced this?

This was a concern of mine when I bought my car back in 2004.

He is right, its the design of the car. Dont know exact technical answer but search the forums and you will find it. Again nothing to worry about

hey everyone,

thanks so much for the replies... they are greatly appreciated! now i have one less worry about the car. the only thing i really need to get done now is the dent caused by the hit and run in the back quarter panel and the thermostat replacement.

:P