Tilt Steering Wheel 98 Ls

laserron

Hi All,

Saw in my owners manual that the dealer could reprogram something to stop the steering wheel from automatically moving upwards when the key is turned off. Also have a 93 LS. It has a switch to stop the automatic movement.

Has anyone done this or heard of it being done by the Stealer!

Your help is appreciated.

LaserRon

Why would one want to try to "pull a fuse" to deactivate the automatic tilt/telescope when a dealer or repair shop can "cleanly" turn the function on/off in a minute with the diagnostic tester. Other important electrical features could be on the same circuit as the steering wheel motors.

Why would one want to try to "pull a fuse" to deactivate the automatic tilt/telescope when a dealer or repair shop can "cleanly" turn the function on/off in a minute with the dianostic tester. Other important electrical features could be on the same circuit as the steering wheel motors.

yes it can easily be shut off via the lexus approved diagnostic tool. all lexus dealers have them, obviously, but not many independents do. in fact i don't know anyone who has one except for me. yes, i have one at my shop and while it might be quick, the tool and software wasn't cheap :whistles:

Why would one want to try to "pull a fuse" to deactivate the automatic tilt/telescope when a dealer or repair shop can "cleanly" turn the function on/off in a minute with the dianostic tester. Other important electrical features could be on the same circuit as the steering wheel motors.

yes it can easily be shut off via the lexus approved diagnostic tool. all lexus dealers have them, obviously, but not many independents do. in fact i don't know anyone who has one except for me. yes, i have one at my shop and while it might be quick, the tool and software wasn't cheap :whistles:

The independent shop where we take our Lexus and Toyota cars has the scan tool it takes to change the customizable settings. It took only a few minutes for someone there to use the tool to change the interior light delay setting on our LS400 -- there was no charge on the invoice but I was spending $235 on other services.

Frankly, I would avoid indie shops that do not have the electronic tools required to properly maintain Lexus cars.

"laserron" lives in Atlanta where there are probably several Lexus dealers who can change this and other customizable settings at a reasonable price -- perhaps free -- especially if he has other services performed. While at the dealer, "laserron" might want to check to see if TISB ST003-00 has been implemented on his 98 LS -- the TISB involved replacing several tilt/telescope system parts including both the tilt and telecope motors.

The tilt/telescope problem on the 98-00 LS400 was corrected at the factory beginning with VIN JT8BH28F*Y0175592. My 00 LS was not subject to the problem since it was build at the end of 2000 model year after the factory correction was implemented.

Maybe he doesn't have time to go to the dealer at this time.

Or, maybe he doesn't want to go to the dealer just for this.

He could pull a fuse in the meantime to accomplish his goal while getting it done "cleanly" on his next service visit.

It was merely another option.

Tom

Maybe he doesn't have time to go to the dealer at this time.

Or, maybe he doesn't want to go to the dealer just for this.

He could pull a fuse in the meantime to accomplish his goal while getting it done "cleanly" on his next service visit.

It was merely another option.

Tom

Yes, "pulling a fuse" is an option if you want to take a chance on disabling 27 -- yes, 27! -- other systems on the same circuit as the tilt/telescope function of the steering wheel. Wait, there are only 26 systems that might be disabled since headlight washers are not on U.S. models. Please review section BE-20 (BE= Body Electrical)of the repair manual set.

I wouldn't mind putting an end to this "feature" on my '95 as well. It annoys the hell out of me for some reason--I guess it has to do with just seeing it move a centimeter everytime the key enters/exits, and since I have the wheel tilted high enough so that I don't crash my damn knees in to the steering wheel, I don't need it to move a centimeter to let me out of the car.

One reason to want to disable the tilt/telecope feature on many 98-00 LS400's is related the the TISB I mentioned in a previous post on this thread. If the problem was not repaired for free during the warranty period, it will likely be expensive to repair now. Some people might want to disable the feature rather than pay to have it fixed.

The steering wheel telescope feature failed this week on a coworker's 99 LS (manufactured in September 98) and he is reluctant to spend the money (I think he said about $1,500) to fix this problem on a eight year old car.

1990LS400,

Thanks for the tip on the TISB. will check it out.

The movement seems to unnecessary wear on the parts. We have two drivers. Going from one position to the other 2 or 3 times a week would greatly extend the life of the gears.

Aside from that it is annoying.

Ron

If you want to greatly extend the life of the motors and gears make sure you never use the wheel as a handle and lift yourself in or out of the car .As well as adjusting yourself in the seat just adds pressure to the cogs.

Personally its one of my favorite Lexus features, I really miss it on my ES.

I always tilt the wheel up when I get out of the car though.

$1500 to repair it on an 8 year old car though, I can understand having reservations about that.

I had an ES330 loaner and it did not have auto wheel or telescopic feature. As i do find it annoying at times ,i found i really missed it . I would never change it but would not mind a switch which would be easy to add by tapping the wire on the ignition to add a switch to the dash.