Lucky To Even Get To 100k Miles...

JAXXXIX

I just got my 1990 Lexus ls400 inspected and the guy told me i should sell it while i still can. It has 78k miles on it....he said the power steering has never been touched and it is coated on the inside, but if i try to put new power steering fluid in it, the coating will break off sending it through the hoses causing more leaks. He said there were minor oil leaks, and he said im coming up on my 90k mile service and it would cost me $1500 from him and about $1800 from Lexus. I don't think he was trying to sell me on buying the service from him because he told me to sell the car while I still can. Should I sell it or just try to get everything fixed and have it running like new again?

I just got my 1990 Lexus ls400 inspected and the guy told me i should sell it while i still can. It has 78k miles on it....he said the power steering has never been touched and it is coated on the inside, but if i try to put new power steering fluid in it, the coating will break off sending it through the hoses causing more leaks. He said there were minor oil leaks, and he said im coming up on my 90k mile service and it would cost me $1500 from him and about $1800 from Lexus. I don't think he was trying to sell me on buying the service from him because he told me to sell the car while I still can. Should I sell it or just try to get everything fixed and have it running like new again?

PS pump leaking issue for 1st gen LS4 is well known! if that's the only problem you have, then it's definately worth to get it repalced and keep the car. 90k service is basically major tune-up + timing belt job ($1500 sound high for that!). now, timing belt is known for lasting over 90k, so you may consider just to do the tune-up (plugs, wire set, distributor caps, rotors, fuel filter, PVC valve, throttle cleaning...etc) but not to change the TB for 90k service. now, 1st gen LS is non-interference engine, broken TB won't hurt the engine at all. at 78k, you should be able to enjoy it for many years and many miles to come.

leaking OS pump is also known for killing alterntor down below. at the time of replacing PS pump, you may want to put on some shielding on alternator like this:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/albums/LS/Alt2.jpg

My 92 LS didn't get the timing belt changed out until 153,000 miles and the one removed looked as if it could go another 150,000. Basically you can ignore the PS leak as it isn't enough to be a problem if you top it off at each oil change.

And it turns out that the PS leak has absolutely NOTHING to do with the alternator failure, just time and wear on the slip rings themselves. My slip ring brushes were only about 1/3 worn but the copper slip rings on the armature were worn down to the bare shaft. Apparently Lexus uses a really soft slip ring copper for some strange reason.

I agree with your mechanic. If your not willing to spend a grand or two a year to maintain this car maybe you should think about passing it on to someone willing to do so. Even if you do the work yourself the parts will cost you bucks. Its all about where you are going to put your dollars. A newer car or this one a nickel at a time. I've had my 91 a few years and spent a couple thou or more on parts. If I had to pay for labor I really dont think I would want to own this car even though I love it. I am impressed with your mechanic's honesty. Get out now or start paying up. It's all good either way.

Let's keep things straight here. You have a sixteen year old car that needs its first, first ever, major service, and that may be $1500.00. Big deal. It has a leaky power steering pump, easy repair, cheap. The ATF will take out the alternator. It degrades the brushes and causes them to disintegrate. If left unrepaired the commutator may be damaged. But caught in time, simple repair. That's it. Better a car that nickel and dimes you, than a newer or new car that beats the crap out of you on depreciation a $1000.00 a month. Fix it and be happy, because if that's all that's wrong with it, you are on easy street.

Just my opinion, but a 1990 LS400 with less than 80k and a leak or two here and there? The best money you will ever spend will be to do the basic maintenance on it, done yourself or by a reputable, knowledgeable mechanic. Check anywhere and you’ll see these cars run for 250,000+ miles with nothing more than the basics.

He probably wants you to sell it so he can buy it! :) Find a good mechanic, invest some $ and enjoy the next 200,000 miles with no worries.

My next car will be a 1998 LS400 with 90,000-110,000 on it. Sublime! :P

I agree with the guys..... you have two options here:

1) follow the mechanic's advice, sell the car and walk away.

2) put some money into it and enjoy the car.

SRK's theory is exactly why I have the signature below. I'd rather invest a few thousand dollars into a luxury automobile rather than loose a few thousand dollars to own one. Just my opinion. If you are dedicated to the car, you really like the car, then you will not be dissappointed with fixing it up. When most engines are nearing their end at 100k, the LS400's 4.0 Liter V8 is just getting warmed up.

But take caution: You cannot take the cheap route with fixing these cars. You will not be satisfied with the results for long if you take that route. Trust us. These are fine automobiles, built with some of the finest materials on earth. If you replace a component with a cheap replacement, it will show in the car's operation and ulitmate owner satisfaction. Just a lesson I've learned myself along the way.

Well ,JD powers and consumer reports gives the 1990 Lexus LS 400 the highest ratings available. it is a high quality automobile. I would say you don't need a new car... you need a new mechanic. but what it really comes down to: is the car in nice shape? do you love it ?do you want to keep it forever? if so then keep the car and find a mechanic who shares your opinion of the car he'll help you realize there aren't many built like these . mine has 234,000 . and has only needed things any car beyond a brand new car would need. if not sell it because I'll buy it. what do you want?

I have a 94 LS with 111K miles, and it has cost me a couple of grand over the past 3 years. Primarily for a new timing belt and water pump. But it runs like a top, and is in great condition. Fabulous ride. My thought is that if you have a car that is very old, you shouldn't use it as a primary mode of transport. I.E. make it the #2 car. I have a little newer convertible that I use for my daily commute, and I drive the 12 year old Lexus as a "Sunday" car. I have no collision insurance on it, just big liability and property damage coverage. If a drunken illegal immigrant hits me, I'm screwed, but all I've lost is a pretty 12 year old car. It costs me $100 a year for insurance, and $96 for registration. Best $200 I've spent lately.

My reason for selling my 90 LS after almost 14 years of ownership and buying a newer LS was simply to get newer technology and more safety equipment -- HID lights, vehicle stability control, brake assist, a better ABS system, depowered driver air bag, passenger air bag, side air bags, trip computer, R134 air conditioning, etc. If I could have updated my 90 LS with all this, I would be driving it today -- it was a wonderful car. But sometimes it is better to move on.

Well from a newbies perspective-having just bought a ls400 with less than 100K miles-I couldnt be happier with the car. Even thought I had to put in another 400 bucks after paying for it the ride quality and luxury is better than my Fiancee's old car 2000 toyota camry and better than her new car a 2003 toyota avalon. Now the ls was a car a dreamed of when I could only afford a yugo-please dont laugh so getting one,even at this age, represents a milestone of sorts for my automotive dreams ^^ :D

The investment required to keep a car of this quality is vastly lower than that of a new car that depreciates the second you get off the lot as stated above and with huge insurance premiums. Getting someone you trust to work on the car is very important as stated above as well and with the right amount of preventative maintenance will last you a long time.

MarioC

1991 LS 400

White with black leather interiour

97K and loving it.

Hi Jaxx

If you sell, how much are you asking. I have 2 LS' a third would be nice.

I can be there in 5 hours from ATL. Email is rasargent@hotmail.com

LaserRon

Sounds like everyone else knows their car is worth it to them and your car is worth it to them! :D

It's just a matter of is it wort it to you?

Love it = keep it

not bothered = sell it to an LS lover and buy some new predictable small ford ect. :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

My 90 has only 148,000 on it. It leaks a tiny bit of PS fluid and I was told the upper control arm bushing are weak but that is not enough reason to sell it.

My wife had the 2006 Chrylser 300 Limited with all the creature comforts. When she took a different position she had to give it back. They compensated her nicely though.

When she took the LS400 back, she commented on how much better it drove than the new Chrusler. I guess that about says it all. You want new car payments?