Timing Belt Change Interval?

madkow70

hello all.

at what mileage do you change the timing belt on LX?

and is that something DIY-able?

if not DIY, is it something that you would go to any mom and pop shop?

my LX is still under warranty, i don't want them to blame anything on mom & pop work if i need any warranty issues resolved.

thank you for your inpute in advance.

90K miles. You might also have the water pump replaced, 'cause if that starts to leak (should last at least 120K mi), you have to perform the same amount of work , remove the new t-belt, just to get to the water pump. Use only OEM parts if you expect to get the recommended lifespan. My Lexus dealer (here in AZ) says they found that the V8's are easier on t-belts while the V6's are harsher on them, so they tell me they recommend 105K mi for the V8 t-belt, 75K mi for the V6 t-belt, and that 90K mi is just a general recommendation that covers all environmental conditions in the US. The longest one has driven w/o replacing it (from ih8mud) is 200k mi on a LX470. It looked like it could have broken at any time, so the guy was lucky to have it changed then. You can call around and see if there's a toyota dealer that will replace it. It's a lot less $$ though you don't get the loaner and car wash, but Lexus will honor the warranty if Toyota does the work and you save the receipts to prove it.

90K miles. You might also have the water pump replaced, 'cause if that starts to leak (should last at least 120K mi), you have to perform the same amount of work , remove the new t-belt, just to get to the water pump. Use only OEM parts if you expect to get the recommended lifespan. My Lexus dealer (here in AZ) says they found that the V8's are easier on t-belts while the V6's are harsher on them, so they tell me they recommend 105K mi for the V8 t-belt, 75K mi for the V6 t-belt, and that 90K mi is just a general recommendation that covers all environmental conditions in the US. The longest one has driven w/o replacing it (from ih8mud) is 200k mi on a LX470. It looked like it could have broken at any time, so the guy was lucky to have it changed then. You can call around and see if there's a toyota dealer that will replace it. It's a lot less $$ though you don't get the loaner and car wash, but Lexus will honor the warranty if Toyota does the work and you save the receipts to prove it.

fantastic! thanx for quick reply.

my LX has about 57k on her. so i'd say perhaps another couple of years before doing the t-belt & water pump. i'll keep that in mind.

thanx again.

D.J.

• 2 months later...

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE TIMING BELT BREAKS? ON MY 92 SC400 THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE NO VALVE DAMAGE DUE TO THE ENGINE DESIGN. YOU ARE JUST STRANDED. I WAITED TILL THE WATER PUMP LEAKED AT THE WEAP HOLE(INDICATING SEAL FAILURE) AND REPLACED EVERYTHING THEN.THAT WAS ON A 10 YEAR OLD CAR WITH 170K ON IT.

• 2 months later...