How Long Can An Rx Go Before Problems?

punkyrules

Hello,

Last night I purchased a 1999 RX 300 with 46k miles on from a Lexus dealership. The car is certified and I got the extended 5 year certification plan. I paid a total of 23,500 for the vehicle.

With 46k miles on the car, how long do you think before I start getting major problems with the vehicle? I am practically fully covered under the certification for the next 5 years (or odometer reading of 100k), but for those of you who have 1999 RX cars over 100,000 miles, how much in maintenance are you putting into the cars? I am hoping this vehicle will last me till about 135,000 before giving me any persistent problems.

Let me know...

Thanks

I have a '99 RX300 w/ only 29,000 miles. When I asked the Lexus mechanics the same question you just asked on this Forum, they said the most expensive problem that may occur before 100 K is the AC evaporator. Apparently, there is some incompatibility in the metals used, resulting in a leak. I didn't get the specifics. A new evaporator is priced somewhere in the range of $1,200.00 +. This of course does not include the labor, which must a real problem to replace. (under the dash).

With this in mind, I bought the first extended warrranty I have ever bought. Not faulting the vehicle tho. It's a sweetheart!

I just bought a Certified Pre-Owned '00 RX300 with 49k on it. :D

If you maintain the RX you'll have no problems getting 135k out of it without putting major money into it other than brakes, oil changes, alignments, etc. One of the things you may have to do is the timing belt. These things can cost you a little $$ or a lot of $$$$$$$$$. If you replace it on your own as Lexus recommends at 90k miles then it $$ or if it goes on it's own and other damage happens then it's $$$$$$$.

My neighbor has a 99 RX300 with over 115k on it and hasn't had any problems with it so far.

JP

I have a 99 RX300 with 45k miles. No problems, except 02 sensor blowing on me, which was replaced under factory-OEM warranty. Just to be safe, I bought for $1800 a 1sourceautowarranty diamond plan, which will take care of me thru 100k miles/5 yrs. Just to be safe. I can't imagine having problems, but would recommend it. If you can afford this car, you can afford to pay a little for peace of mind insurance against costly repairs -- not because it's a bad car, but because parts/labour cost so much.

I have a '99 RX300 with 95K miles on it. I haven't had any problems with the car until last month when my transmission went out!!!! I was first quoted $7500 from a Lexus dealer and after I picked myself off the floor, I had the car towed to a AAMCO.

Apparently, there seems to be a shortage of 99 RX300 transmissions, because Lexus was even backordered! I got a rebuilt one for $5800.....OUCH!

I have a 1999 RX300 I purchased new. It currently has 71,000 miles on it. So far, the only out of pocket expenses have been regular oil changes and a new set of tires on the vehicle (at 35,000 miles), which I attribute mostly to my hard driving style. Up until recently, the car has been nearly perfect.

I just had the vehicle in to the dealer today for an oil change and check for an exhaust noise. Evidently, there is a crack in the exhaust header pipe which the dealer wants to charge $450 for. The car is out of warranty, so I am headed to a muffler shop for a fix. In addition, the dealer recommended I change out all the belts as well as the battery, adding another $600 to the bill. I will probably have the belts changed soon, but will let the battery die on it's own.

These are great cars, but I recommend you question the dealer thoroughly before paying for any work. Read the owners manual carefully and pay attention to the notes in the recommended service sections. The dealer would have you think that shelling out $500 for fluid and filter changes every 3,000 miles is a normal practice. It is not and is in fact only recommended by the manufacturer for vehicles operated under extreme driving conditions.

Good luck with your Lexus. They are really great cars well worth the expense.

I have a 99 with 85k, the front exhaust manifold was cracked from the o2 sensor up along the back about 2.5" and down around the front another 1.5" . I took it off myself (very easy 10 bolts) I had it welded ($25.00)and installed new gaskets ($40.00) . so far so good I have driven it about 2k with no problems.

Hope this helps

MArty

Never, NEVER pay for out-of-warranty exhaust system work at a dealer. Dealers do mostly warranty exhaust work (and very little of it), so they don't have the expertise that the national chain muffler shops do. Dealers are also sometimes two, three, or even four times costlier on their exhaust work than the national muffler chains are. Many dealers don't even stock the parts, and may have to spend days ordering and receiving them.

Bottom line - you'll always get much better pricing, better expertise, and equal-or-better parts for ANY exhaust work on ANY make & model of vehicle at a national muffler chain. That's their specialty, and all consumers should benefit from it.